Author Topic: Did anyone have to get a blood transfusion?????  (Read 1758 times)

lauralynn

Did anyone have to get a blood transfusion?????
« on: March 20, 2009, 11:58:34 pm »
I'm having my translab/with BAHA implanted surgery on April 14th.  I had to fill out my consent for surgery forms.  When I gave them to my surgeon's office they noticed that I didn't want blood products.  That scares me.  I'm going to try to donate my own blood...they said I could probably do a pint of my own.  Did anyone have to get a blood transfusion during their surgery?  Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lauralynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Kaybo

Re: Did anyone have to get a blood transfusion?????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 09:04:02 am »
Lauralynn~
There was just a whole thread on this started by Anissa - in fact, I thought that is what this was!!  Steve....oh Steve...he can find anything - I don't know how to put in the threads!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44:47 am »
I think you are talking about this thread here.  Lots of good replies and should be helpful to you Lauralynn.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8993.0

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 10:00:32 am »
thanks Ernie!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 10:04:38 am »
Lauralynn,

While you can probably make an autologous blood donation, my doc went as far as telling me that he tells  patients not to do this.   A minimal amount of blood is lost during this surgery and he had never heard of anyone needing a transfusion.  If it would make you feel better to do it, then I doubt there would be a problem, but from what I understand, you'd have a better chance of being struck by lightning on a clear, sunny day than needing it.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

chelsmom

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:20:03 pm »
Hi Lauralynn,

I just saw this topic and had to jump in.  My daughter also had a very large tumor and we were told that the surgery was not a bloody one and there was really no need to donate her own blood.  Unfortunately her tumor turned out to be vascular and she needed 2 units of blood during surgery.  Her surgery was staged in 2 parts at 2 weeks apart.  During that 2 week period she received 2 units of platelets then another 2 units of blood during her second surgery.  I realize her situation was very unusual but I now believe every case is totally different.  She is now facing this again because of regrowth.  Her tumor was debulked and then radiated and is now growing again.  Like I said-very unusual.  I think that if you have the chance to self donate then do it.  It can't hurt.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:32:43 pm »
Lauralynn ~

Based on the previous posts and my own experience (my surgeon never even mentioned needing blood during my operation) it would seem as if 'donating' a pint of your own blood prior to the surgery is likely not necessary.  Of course, no one can guarantee the blood won't be needed.  If you would have more peace of mind going into surgery knowing your own blood is ready and waiting - on the slight chance it may be needed - go ahead and donate.  However, if having a pint of your own blood taken that probably won't be needed is an unpleasant prospect for you, I would skip it.  Your blood, your call. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 09:36:50 am »
Lauralynn,
Hopefully you read the thread from Anissa. I posted there.
Never say never.
Donate your own blood now, and your body will have a chance to rejuvenate the cells.
Maureen :-\
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:45:42 pm »
I did receive a unit of blood during my 11 hour surgery.  I just assumed that was normal.  I know my counts were already low from having given birth so recently, and I was/am pretty underweight, but I don't know whether that was why I needed it or not.

Vonda

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 03:05:07 pm »
Picked up my full medical records from the surgery.  My total blood loss was less than 25 mL.  Still, after reading some results from others here now, I would probably have given a couple pints just in case.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »
Yep, I donated my own and they used both...............glad I did.  It is a different process than just donating for someone else or to anyone who needs it.  Make sure if you are going to do it, you get it done in time.  If memory serves me correctly a minimum of two weeks prior.  Good luck, you probably won't need it, I am just one of those that if anything can go wrong it will. 8)
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT