Author Topic: My MRI film  (Read 1710 times)

microsoftfree

My MRI film
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:36:47 pm »
Okay, I tried holding it up to the light and taking a pic with my digital, so not the clearest, but the arrow points to what had me wondering. I know you all aren't doctors and the image is blurred and the contrast doesn't show as bright as on the film, but still visible. Should I have someone else take a look? Or is this something that belongs there? I don't want it to be an AN, but I really would like to have someone explain these films.

Becky

microsoftfree

Re: My MRI film
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:48:31 pm »
I should add that my doc didn't see the films, only the report from the MRI center.

Becky

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:33:29 pm »
I would go by the report from the MRI center, assuming it was written by a radiologist. One image does not an AN make. They want to see a series, going front to back, left to right, top to bottom, that show something consistently, with the shape of an AN. And a difference between the with and without contrast versions.

That white blob looks like - well to me, like a drop of developer spilled onto the film, or some other artifact. The shape is not ANish, going by the ones I have seen.

Can you get a copy of the report? That might make you feel better. The radiologists have a language of their own, but they typically note various things, then say they are non-specific or unremarkable. Unless it has the words "consistent with a vestibular schwannoma" on it somewhere, you very likely don't have one.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

microsoftfree

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 03:30:02 am »
Music to my ears, well, so to speak  ;D The heart doc will want to look at the MRA and since I don't know which is which, I'll ask him about it when I see him in May. Thank you, Steve. I think the reason I'm so worried is that I have never had anything so serious happen to me medically before so am a little freaked out by all the docs being so thorough.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:31:33 am »
Becky ~

This is why I long ago gave up trying to decipher MRI images.  They're very confusing and to the untrained eye (ours), not much help.  I'll risk stating the obvious and concur with Steve that the radiologist's written report should set your mind at ease.  They can read as if they were written in Sanskrit, but your doctor can de-code the medical jargon, which is usually a lot of convoluted phrasing using Latin words.  My wife, who has various medical problems - but not an AN - often uses an online medical dictionary to help decipher her reports and although tedious, it helps a bit to at least get a vague idea of what the report is stating. 

I seriously doubt you have any sort of brain tumor.  The fact that your doctors are being thorough is probably based on the fact that the cause of your symptoms is elusive and would seem to be related to brain functions, so they're looking at that and either finding something - likely not - or eliminating brain functions as a source of your problem.  No fun to go through, but hopefully with a happy ending. 

Jim
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:17:51 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

microsoftfree

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:00:43 pm »
Thanks, guys. I'm definitely not disappointed that I am AN free, but disappointed at the lack of diagnosis. Did get some normality today, though, as I had to get a cortisone shot in my knee. Trying to make it last until I can get it replaced when I qualify for Medicare. Planning a restful weekend.

Becky