Author Topic: Emotions  (Read 1929 times)

Lupy

Emotions
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:22:56 pm »
Weird question, does anyone else find their symptoms are aggravated by strong, negative emotions? I just had a rough emotional week and at its peak I started to get really full on face pain (like i haven't had before) and my tinnitus increased 2 fold. It could be coincidence but it still strikes me as ...odd. I see the doctor today and I imagine he will put me back on some form of steroid and try and get the opertation moved forward, I am not booked in till some time in June eek! But yeah, just wondering if anyone else had experienced a correlation between emotions and symptoms - good or bad?

“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

Lilan

Re: Emotions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:09 pm »
Definitely. My face twitch now appears ONLY on days I have doctor's appointments. :D (And it's only on my affected side, so it's a combo symptom/stress). I also feel like if I have a "rush" of stress--like a brief, passing thought about a stressful task at work--I feel a corresponding "head rush" dizzy spell.

I'm a very even-keel kind of person, so these are subtle, but very noticeable to me!

Then I am reminded that we have what might have been called back in the day a "nerve condition"! Don't fray our nerves!  ;D

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:37:37 pm »
Yes, I believe stress can make you so tense that it just makes the symptoms worse. Mine sometimes  are more prominenet at the end of the day when I'm tired (this is both pre and post op).
Are you ok with steroids? They made me stressed and I couldn't sleep (this was when i was on a high dose; other lower doses previously hadn't bothered me).

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Lupy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:11:06 pm »
Oh I am glad I am not alone! I definatley notice my symptoms more at night - but maybe thats just when I slow down and focus more on them. I have just been put back on steroids so I am not sure what will happen now! I haven't had bad reactions to steroids just a bit energized is all, even at the high doses but this is a new kind I am on now so we will see! But if it saves my face I will be happy. However, I hope it doesnt lead to any more stress or negative emotions, I think I have had enough of those for now!!!!!

moe

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:11:34 am »
You bet, stress  increases symptoms, in my case the tinnitus in the deaf ear is a killer at the end of the day.
That's why we call it a journey! I get to go down this road forever, but I am determined to have fun along the way!
Right now, it's kids in college and teen at home, so it's not really fun . I work part time as  a home health nurse, so that works for my tinnitus.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Sam Rush

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:37:17 am »
Stress can make any illness worse, not just AN
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 12:42:38 pm »
Lupy ~

Doctor (Sam) Rush is right about stress exacerbating just about any illness, including AN symptoms.  The good news is that we can control stress or at least learn how to avoid or minimize it.  Granted, that may not always be possible for everyone in every situation, but generally, stress is manageable.  Gaining emotional control in stressful situations beats taking medicine (with it's inevitable side-affects).

Jim   (not a doctor)   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:43 pm »
Stress can make any illness worse, not just AN

Absolutely - thanks for pointing that out Dr. Sam.

Good to "see" you  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

bpham

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 03:41:19 pm »
Yes, stress can make the AN side tense and feel like you have the AN all over again...but it should not last for more than a few hours after the stress is gone.  That is my experience.  Also, it makes me more dizzy too.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Lupy

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 04:05:21 pm »
Thanks Dr Sam end everyone else. I always knew stress was an antagonist of illness (being a psych) but this has just become so accutely obvious now with AN. I just wanted to hear other peoples experiences. Its just such a shame the meds they put us on to treat AN (dexamethasone) causes stress!!!!!!! I am developing more and more ways of managing stress i.e., meditation, diet, etc exercise. Like you said, its a journey and I will just have to progress slowly and positively towards a more stress free life. Not that easy when you work two jobs, your partner is overseas, and am doing a PhD and renovating a house, but you know, we each have our challenges! haha!

moe

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:00 pm »
Sounds like you don't have kids, so that's a blessing! Wow that'll add stress.
(Do you have kids?) If not, then you have more control over what you do, when, etc...... Maybe slow down on the house renovations?
Is your husband coming back soon, and also hopefully you have 2 jobs that you like ??? That helps!
Hang in there........
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty