Author Topic: NPR Story  (Read 2810 times)

bonehead

NPR Story
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:25:58 pm »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5303770

In case you missed it on ATC tonight.  Very emotional and helps to remind one that no matter how bad your AN is/was, a malignant brain tumor is much worse. 
2.0 cm removed via retrosigmoid 4/7/2004
Dr. Sisti and Dr. Wazen
Columbia Presbyterian, NYC

BP Wench

Re: NPR Story
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 07:07:43 am »
Thanks for sharing.  I actually lived a version of that when my husbands melanoma spread to his brain.  Which made me definitely relieved mine was a benign tumor.  Definitely a reality check.

thecakes

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:34:46 am »
  I always said,  but its a  good thing this is'nt cancer.  Pray thanks and be greatful.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:15:58 am »
with BPwench on this one... lost my sister to malignant brain tumor... this hit too close to home for me as well.  BUT, I try to look at the positive on it. When my sister passed in 1969, I like to think that what she endured and the therapies that were available and being tested in that day were the forerunner treatments for patients of "tomorrow", meaning all of us. :)  I also signed a waiver for BI, authorizing them to follow me post-treatment of my CK treatment as a learning tool since they do all their teaching in conjunction with Harvard Medical School, so hoping my treatments will also help those of "tomorrow".. trying to keep the family spirit alive.

Thanks bonehead for sharing this... a very poignant time for me to read this... this past weekend would have been my sister's 50th bday (she was 13 when she passed, certainly cannot picture her at 50).... very weird to have 2 siblings with brain tumors (one malignant, one benign but in a crappy spot)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 11:08:36 am »
I know what y'all mean. I was diagnosed with my "brain tumor" a few months after my wonderful cousin Cam was diagnosed with a glioblastoma--malignant brain tumor. He was 4 months younger than me.  We had our surgeries months apart and had mirror image scars and shaved heads.  He passed away 6 months after my surgery. His mom, my favorite aunt, died of the same thing 10 years previously.

I sure feel lucky to still be here, in spite of everything I went through, as I'm sure do we all.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 12:31:03 pm »
This is something I find really interesting.  The other day my mom mentioned to me that whenever you are telling people that you or a loved one has a major illness, like cancer, heart disease, etc., they always come back with a story about so and so who had the same thing, and what happened to them.  My mom finds it somewhat eerie that in all the people she's told, not one has a "I know a similar situation" story.  However, there seems to be a common thread in the forum about someone with an AN that had a loved one with a malignant brain tumor.  Just a striking parallel that doesn't seem to exist, so far, out of this thread.  Interesting little conundrum.   
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar