Author Topic: This Week (April 19) in the World of the Felonious AN  (Read 3427 times)

LADavid

This Week (April 19) in the World of the Felonious AN
« on: April 18, 2009, 04:10:44 pm »
(Do not hit the back button, Dave.  Do not hit the back button, Dave).  Sorry, just typing to myself.  Sort of a reminder.

Before I start this week, here's what I know of last week.

Steve (Seal) from Rhode Island had the same AN-Tonsil surgery that Ernie had and was home before    the anesthetic wore off -- an insurance company's dream.

Laura (Lauralynn) from Phoenix had a successful surgery.

Peggy (Garzap) from Michigan had a successful surgery.

Haven't heard from Mitch.

Based on the fact that Brian's campout was rained- out, it sounds like Patrick is doing his ride in the rain today.

And Sue is still celebrating.  Vancouver will never be the same, huh, Sue?

This week's adjective came from Sara (I think) who mentioned it in a post.

This week looks to be a Brunch and BAHA week.

On Sunday, the NE Brunch Bunch is holding its Spring Fling at Maxwell's in Worcester Mass.  Getting bigger and now SRO.  Phyl, I'm thinking you're going to need to get a bigger room.  I'll be there in spirit wearing my Lakers jersey.  Have fun.

On Monday, Jo (Tenai98) from Beachburg, Ontario is having her stitches out and a follow-up with her neurosurgeon.  Jo, you might want to mention the dreams.  If he smiles, you have no problems.  But if he gets serious....  Good luck.

On Tuesday Mike (mikjul1) from Bel Air, Maryland is having BAHA surgery.  For those of you who missed it, Mike has been SSD since 1974.  Best wishes for success, Mike.

And finally, on Wednesday, Lisa (sefra22) from Portland, Maine is also having BAHA surgery -- and last I saw, had challenged Mike to a race to see who gets their processor first.  Have a great surgery, Lisa.

And that's it for this week.  Spring has really arrived in LA -- it's 80 today -- heading up to 90 by Monday.  I'm guessing that I'll be ready for Fall by the end of the week.

Have a great week everyone.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: This Week (April 19) in the World of the Felonious AN
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:19:14 pm »
Wait a minute, wait a minute.  Me, too, getting stitches out on Monday!  Apologies to brunch crowd for OR hair tomorrow!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:56:29 pm »
Thanks for another very enjoyable weekly update, David.  Love the funny comments - thanks for the chuckles  :D

Don't you hate that whole "damn, I just typed a post and lost it" thing?  I can't tell you how many times I've done that  ::)  :P

Sounds like my kind of week - BAHAs and brunch - two things I like a whole lot! 

Good luck to Mike (I don't know how I missed that he's been SSD since 1974) and good luck to Lisa also.  You guys are going to L-O-V-E your BAHAs!   ;D

Don't eat too many dumplings at brunch, NE Gang.

Now where is Mitch with that update??

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 05:23:01 pm »
Well, the first day of the Houston/Austin MS 150 bike ride was cancelled...something to do with the 12 inches of rain at the La Grange fairgrounds(where all the riders stay overnight on the 1st day). However, it's a go for the 2nd day(tomorrow), so now we have to get up at about 4 in the morning, drive to La Grange and then ride our bikes to Austin. That will make it basically the MS 80. My training partner and I plan to ride from Houston to La Grange next Saturday to say we did in fact complete the whole thing on our bikes.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 06:57:13 pm »
Yeah, I'm still celebrating!  ;)   My auntie, who is having a bit of trouble with her breathing, needed me to take her to the doctor and then the Cat Scan and get her groceries and such and she was saying to me, "Oh, I just didn't do much for  you when you had your problem".  I said, "Oh, that's been 3 years ago.  No big deal, Auntie.  Let's turn the page on that one.  It's over, done with...and nothing you could have done for me anyway, except watch me not sleep!"  So, yeah....3 years and it's in the history books.

Thank Heaven for that.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:51:13 pm »
Sorry for the omission, Nancy.  I pretty much only know what's going on by the calender.  Best wishes for a good follow-up.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 11:04:36 pm »
Have a great brunch NE peeps!  How fun!

Best wishes on your BAHA surgeries Mike & Lisa!  I hope everything goes great and the recovery is swift!

Yay for Jo and Nancy getting your stitches out, what a relief!  Wahoooooo!

Sue, so great that you can be there for your auntie, you are a good niece.   ;D

Welcome back to work Ernie, I hope the tinnitus mellows out for you over time.

David, good job on the weekly recap.  Next time you hit the backspace key and it erases your post, try to hit the forward key and see if it will take you back before you resolve to retyping it.  Maybe you already tried that -- sometimes is works for me!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:54:31 am »
Good luck to those in surgery - what a step forward to hear again!

Best wishes for the stitches removal! I liked having ones that dissolve, but i am sure that is not always possible.

Everyone, please send updates when you can!

David - we had 77 degrees in Virgina yesterday, that was a miracle!  Now-back to 50 on Monday.... ???

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Seal

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 06:04:47 am »
Yep, you are right on David!    This was certainly a Felonius Week in the Wacky World of AN.   Like Ernie, they kicked us out while we were still high as kites and functioning way better than normal!!!    The nurse asked me to do stairs on day two in order to prove I could make it in the house.   So I went right up two flights of stairs in the hall way, looked down, and asked her if she wanted me to do a few more.     She responded " no Sir, and PLEASE come down the stairs right now!!"     " We will go get you signed out for noontime!!!"
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:59:34 am »
saw the letters "felon..." in the topic heading and had to run in with my whip! good thing it was a false alarm! :)

Ok, will enjoy my apple dumplin today for all those not with us physically, but there in spriit.... all wearing Bruins/Celtics/Red Sox gear! :)  BTW, there are a few AN'ers in town (2 attending the brunch as well!) with family that are running the Boston Marathon tomorrow, so to all those running the race... best wishes!!!!!!!

for all those having a treatment of some sort this week, I send my endless wellness wishes to you all! Will check back here for updates!

BTW, bbq'd here in shorts Friday.... Spring is springing in New England... nothing like watching a true season change... :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 04:50:33 pm »
Okay - here's an update on Mitch - although it's really last week's news.

I'm not sure if he's going to post something or not, so I thought I would.

His surgery went very well, but lasted a little longer than usual.

It was about 2.5 hours and apparently the doc spend the extra time removing the fat from the site.

Mitch is now referring to himself as a fat head.  He's in very good company  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:20:05 pm »
Seal,

Glad to hear your home.  It sounds as though your doing pretty good.  Another feather in MGH's cap ;D ;D

Please go easy, and take time to heal.

Thank you Jan for the up date on Mitch, glad everything went well.

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 03:47:45 pm »
On Tuesday Mike (mikjul1) from Bel Air, Maryland is having BAHA surgery.  For those of you who missed it, Mike has been SSD since 1974.  Best wishes for success, Mike.

And finally, on Wednesday, Lisa (sefra22) from Portland, Maine is also having BAHA surgery -- and last I saw, had challenged Mike to a race to see who gets their processor first.  Have a great surgery, Lisa.

David

Best wishes Mike, and Lisa on your BAHA surgeries.  It looks like the race is on ;D

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Keri

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 05:36:21 pm »
Brunch was great! Meeting everyone was so nice!
I'll be wanting to hear how all these BAHA's went.
Patrick, so sorry about the 1/2 half being cancelled due to weather (but glad you weren't biking in all that rain). Good for you for going through with biking the whole thing! Wow, hope the weather is much better when you do that.
Speaking of biking, Seal, didn't you have a post pre surgery about biking post surgery?  I know you're a very new postie but let us know when you get back to biking and how it's going.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Seal

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 04:00:48 am »
Thanks for the support Rich.      On the biking Keri,  I'll try to put together a timeline for those in the future regarding progress.   My stitches come out this Friday, and things are getting better.    My balance is still off, but I can tell it is different AND improving.    I can tell that it is more stable now, meaning that the info I'm getting is good info.    I think that the brain now has to resolve the new format and reprogram for the one ear and eyesight that is left.   We'll see.     The real test will eventually be at speed with the peleton.    Close quarters at 25 mph is a whole 'nuther world.
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.