Author Topic: indigestion/heartburn  (Read 1329 times)

tenai98

indigestion/heartburn
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:09:23 pm »
I never had this til after surgery.  ANyone else and what did you take for it???? I seee my GP wed
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: indigestion/heartburn
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:15:55 pm »
JO ~

I didn't experience indigestion post-op but I'm sure others have.  I would suspect the anesthesia and any hospital meds to be the culprit.  I'm sure your GP can suggest or prescribe something to help alleviate this.  Let us know.  Meanwhile, have you tried OTC medications?  There are plenty to choose from.  I trust this indigestion/heartburn issue can be managed and will resolve, soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:16:11 pm »
Hi Jo!

I never had it either until this surgery - in the hospital, they gave me regular Pepsid (I think that's how you spell it) and you can buy it over the counter.   BUT...after a few weeks home, I started having acid reflux at night, so I switched to Pepsid AC (also OTC) and it did the trick very well.  ONly needed it a week or so, and then all returned to normal....well, at least the digestive stuff!

Good luck!!!  I know it's quite a nuisance!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »
I take Zantac 150 mg every night before go to bed .  I use the generic,ranitidine.       There is supposed to be a higher amount of gastric acid at night and many drs thinks it is better to take at night.                The Pepcid AC would be a different story.      If these type don't work than one go to the proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec.        I have seen that taken ,ususally just once a day in the AM or PM.                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:08 pm »
I'm wondering if steroids could be the culprit .....  Prednisone always tears my stomach up.  Best check with your physician on treatment because some antacids can interfere with medication absorption.  Mylanta Supreme is my "drug" of choice for heartburn ..... but you need to get the OK with anything else you may be taking.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

bell

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:15 am »
Jo,
I had GERD about 4years ago, fancy word for acid reflux.  I gave up alcohol, caffine, chocolate, salsa...anything acidic for almost a year.  I still do not drink caffine on a daily basis.  I took Prilosec prescription and did recover.
Now,  during the hospital they gave me Omprezole.  Reflux is back because of drugs, I have bought Omprezole over the counter and seems to be working, I will take for about a month.  I still do not drink alot of caffine, and alcohol intake has been very little since surgery, but I am sure that will pick up in the coming months (ha).
Tylenol is easiest on the GI and Maalox chewables work for me.
Hopefully your will go away, and good luck.  Bell