Author Topic: Post Op hearing loss in good ear  (Read 2182 times)

Gordon R

Post Op hearing loss in good ear
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »
I am helping a friend who is 10 months post-operative from successful acoustic neuroma removal surgery. It was extremely large and advanced but recovery has been good.
Now, however, he is experiencing occasional temporary hearing loss in his good ear. He is very concerned.
The occasions when he has experienced this hearing loss have been preceded by a tinny, sharp screeching sound.
He is scheduled for an MRI but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this or knows of online info. I'm having trouble finding information online on hearing loss in the non-operated ear.

Gordon

Kaybo

Re: Post Op hearing loss in good ear
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:49:57 pm »
Gordon~
I am sorry that I have no help for you.  This is a VERY informative & helpful site, so hopefully someone will be along soon that has some information to help you out!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »
Have you come across contralateral hearing loss?     I think that is the right spelling.      I am not sure if it was here or another forum where it was talked about.       I am not sure if they know a cause as never checked into it more before posting.         May even be just a name for several causes some of which may be unknown.           I know I am of not a lot of help but I do know there is a name for some hearing loss on the other side.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:46:37 am »
GordonR,  Welcome to this forum!  What a wonderful person you are helping your friend during this time!
I have no answers for you, but i am sure others will chime in to help.
This is an AMAZING group of people!
Best wishes to your friend in continued successful recovery.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:49:07 pm »
Hi, Gordon - and allow me add my welcome. 

I'm pleased to learn that your friend had a good recovery from his AN surgery.  However, although I have no personal knowledge on the subject of contralateral hearing loss, I believe that it can be caused by AN surgery - for a number of reasons.  I've read that it is usually (but not always) temporary.  The MRI should help explain the cause. I pray that this is definitely a transient situation.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Gordon R

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:30:17 pm »
Thanks for your replies. 
I have come across the term "contralateral hearing loss" online.  The only thing I have found is a study in Europe that listed percentages for various post op recovery issues including contralateral hearing loss.  No indepth info though.  Maybe that in itself is good because maybe it means it is rare.  About a month ago he began having sharp headaches on the operated side (left side)  as well as scalp tingling.  He hasn't had headaches since approximately 4-5 months post op.  With all these new symptoms it feels like the beginning of some kind of regression which is hard to take after doing so well and now he is trying to find work.
Thanks for any info that you have.

Gordon