Author Topic: How long before you get back to work?  (Read 4325 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: How long before you get back to work?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:30 am »
As others have said it we are all different ...

personal experience

I had surgery on July 2 and figured on going to work full time the first full week in August when school
started back ... they held the full time position open for me until the end of August and filled it when I told
them I wouldn't be back anytime soon ... at that point I had to walk all the time touching a wall or hand on
someones shoulder (looking back I should have gotten a  walking stick )

I had been working in the school cafeteria ... from 6:00 -9:45 and again from  10:30 til 12:30 you don't stop
moving ...from 7:15 til 7:45 we feed about 200 kids breakfast and clean up and start lunch...some lunch is started when
we started cooking breakfast at 6:00...we have 9:45-10:15 to eat lunch (or rather brunch) and go to rest room ...
then lunch starts and it is crazy...

the wash window is the slowest but still fast paced and you have to keep up with the kids shoving stuff at you rinsing it off , 
sorting , putting on appropriate rack and then pushing rack onto conveyor to go to the dish washer... run pull stuff off the clean
end and re-stack on cart and run it to the far end of line down a 30 foot hall so the clean trays and utensils can be used
again... we have a small cafeteria that was built when the school had about 125 kids K-12... school has been added
to several times and we now have 500 kids and not enough room for a lot of feeding equipment ... they just added
refrigeration and cooking euipment....

all the movement and speed would kill me first day ... balance and headaches have kept me from returning ... and I had to
turn down the full time position when it was offered ... everyone rotates ...if I dumped a load of trays it would be no big deal...
if I was on the line and dumped a tray of of fried chicken or pizza it would be ... a tray of pizzas  is three layers of 4  pizzas ...
each pizza is about 2 pounds ... 32 pounds is not alot but the size of the trays and they way you have to spread your arms to
hold and carry from prep to oven then from there to warmers was hard before surgery and would toss my balance off

one day pre surgery , I used one of the pedometers the school uses to track miles walked by students in BC-BS Walking Works
health program and I walked approximately 6 miles in that time ...from freezers at far end of hall to the other end where we
add in clean trays is only 50 feet ... the speed and all the turning is something I am not able to do anymore ...

all that said is just to say what I had been doing and before surgery and had planned on taking on full time I still can't do 22
months later ... so now I go to school as a volunteer and free up teachers from having to do stuff like making copies , leaving class
to run Chapter or Title students in lower grade to the places they should be , tutor  etc ... I have subbed some in class rooms
but mostly half days ... just started lyrica in January and have had few headaches since , which is what has
kept me from subbing alot or doing whole days ... this past two weeks I have subbed for 5 1/2 days for teachers trying to use
up paid days they haven't used before school lets out ... also had 16 hours of volunteer time logged ... I am hoping by the time
school starts back in August I can apply for a full time aide job ...

we also own a farm and I am kinda useless here anymore ...or rather just not as useful ...I don't do sorting of cows because
they are alot bigger than I am and getting trampled is not anything I want to try  :o... when we vaccinated a few weeks ago  it
meant my husband had alot of extra leg work but I made myself a step up and platform kind a thing on outside of chute and
could load syringes and poke cows from above them , then  pour on liquid wormer ...  :D (don't I find glamorous work) ...
while it was a vital part of what we needed to do I felt something not quite anger at not being able to work the pen and
sort out animals and head them down the chute ... it also took about 2 hours longer

my advice would be to plan for the 2 months but not hold yourself to it ... if you can start back sooner great ...if not give
yourself time ... I beat myself up and would make myself depressed thinking of what I couldn't do and wasn't seeing what I
could do ...had to slow down and take stock and give myself permission to not feel good and not be as useful as I thought
I should be ... when we worked the herd I caught myself getting into that self pity mode for what are now it appears
permanent changes in my life as far as balance ,movement and speed issues ...

like MAlegent said she had to go do something to keep boredom at bay ... I go in on my own time and work fro free
because if I sat in the house all day I would die of boredom ... and we have no neighbors to visit or much to see besides
cows and 50 chickens ...a few cats and dogs ... I need to be out and around people to keep my mind active and working ...
or else boredom leads to over thinking which leads to irritation then depression ...

I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back to what ever it is you do soon ... but as we have all learned it is
different for us all ... take your time and don't push yourself until like me you are beating yourself up... find what you can
still do , do it and work up
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 10:40:08 am »
Wait, there was something else you asked--pre-op I increased my workout routine.  I'm convinced being in shape helped me to recover pretty quickly.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

kabby

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 02:53:18 pm »
Getting in the best physical shape I can is my pre-op goal.  I'm not in bad shape for an over 50 woman--losing 5 lbs. probably wouldn't hurt--, but no more days off until Surgery (even though I don't have a date yet).  Yesterday--45 minutes of Yoga and then 5 miles of walking.  The weather is gorgeous and I think being in good shape mentally and physically will be my best bet especially since it seems to keep the panic at bay, too.  And I will be upping the Vitamins until a week or two before. 

Thanks for all the help!
K. :)
Right side AN 2.8 x 1.8  SSD
Diagnosed 2003-Watch & wait until 3/09
Looks like it's gonna be translab

pamk

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »
Kabby, I am 8 weeks out and returning to work next week.  I don't plan on putting in full days and no one is pushing me to do so.  I still have some balance issues but not bad.  The reason I am not planning on full days is because of the fatigue.  When I am tired I am really tired, like a puppy who could just fall over anywhere to sleep, not long periods but when it hits it hits.

Best of luck and feel free to check in with me next week and see how it is going.
Pam
2.1 cm AN
Translab at House/St Vincent March 09.

GARZAP

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
I had a textbook type surgery (perfect) one month ago today, and while I feel fine, I'm not ready to go back to work.   I felt great for the first 10days/two weeks until the steroids wore off.  Then tired most of the time.  Also, I took the pain med lortab for about a week before I realized it was making me nausious. Stopped that three days ago and am feeling way better.  As others have probably said, you'll know when your ready.  Take it easy though.  Good luck.
Peggy
Less than 2 cm L AN discovered 02/09 on MRI due to noticed hearing loss.  No other symptoms.  Surgery 4/14/09 Drs. Friedman, Swartz, and Stefan of House Ear Clinic, LA,CA....my heros.  Retro surgery, no loss of hearing or facial nerve or any complications so far (ten days post op)