Author Topic: Can CT scans accurately find a regrowth?  (Read 2608 times)

Cynaburst

Can CT scans accurately find a regrowth?
« on: May 07, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »
I am 7+ years post retrosigmoid surgery for a 3+ cm. AN with hydrocephalus and a VP shunt, and I am a bit concerned now that I may have a regrowth. 

I was told they got it all out after my surgery, and had 3 clean MRIs in the year following surgery. 

About one year after my surgery (following a clean MRI), my cardiologists recommended that I get an implantable defibrillator (ICD) which is like a pacemaker plus the paddles to revive me in case of a sudden cardiac death (I know, lucky me, right?  Heart and brain problems!)  So after much debate, I decided to go ahead and get the ICD because the risk of AN recurrence was next to none, right?  Well, apparently not after I have spent time lately reading about recurrences on this forum.

So, in the last couple of weeks, I have been experiencing some mild vertigo.  Of course, with my history I freak out and now have CT scans of both the brain and IAC scheduled for next week, but I am concerned that the scan might not be able to find a small tumor.  I remember last time round, the CT I had first did not show the tumor.  It was only the MRI that found it, and now, MR scans are off the menu.  I last had a CT scan about 3 years ago which was clean, and I had another one about 5 years ago, which was also clean.

I am not sure I can face another major surgery.  After my 2 AN Surgeries (one for the shunt) I had to have open heart surgery two and a half years ago, and I have had a few other more minor ones too.  Enough is enough, I tell you.  I can't take much more.

Any words of reasurrance?

sgerrard

Re: Can CT scans accurately find a regrowth?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:52:37 pm »
How about a quote from House, and a link to a discussion on this topic?

The topic is here: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8236.0

According to House Ear Clinic, yes a CT scan can work, especially if they use a contrast dye:

"The CT Scan has proven to be effective in locating acoustic neuromas, although small tumors that are still confined to the internal auditory canal may not show up on standard CT Scans. To assist in providing the clearest possible scan, for some brain scans, the patient may be given an injection of 'contrast medium' dye before the scan begins to make the images clearer."

http://www.houseearclinic.com/acousticneuroma.htm

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:03:32 am »
Good information and a link to boot from Steve!  And although you read a lot about regrowths here on the forums, keep in mind that it is still a statistically small percentage of people that have regrowths.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer that your vertigo is nothing more than remnant reminders from your previous surgery.  Many people here have mentioned continued balance or light headed issues well after surgery.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Cynaburst

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:07:54 am »
Thank you both for your info. and reassurance.  I am keeping my fingers crossed, though now since last night I have also had a terrible headache.  I did have a hearing test on my good ear done the other day at the audiologist to rule out NF2. There has been no change to my audiogram and I still have above average hearing in the good ear, so that is something at least.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:37:15 am »
Cynaburst,

I have also heard of CT scans with contrast doing just fine in locating brain issues.  I'm glad the hearing test worked out fine and I'll be following along to see updates from you. I know your plate has been overly full... pls hang in there.

Thinking of you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cynaburst

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:50:41 pm »
Well, great news to report.  I had a scan today done of the whole brain without contrast to make sure that my shunt was ok, and then another one of the brain and IAC with contrast (sort of an unpleasant sensation, I have to say!).  All was clear according to my neurosurgeon, so that is great news.  He told me that if I still have symptoms in another month, to make an appt. to see Dr. Rick Friedman of House Clinic who also works at Cedars-Sinai along with my surgeon, Keith Black (who just wrote called Brain Surgeon) which I bought at the hospital gift shop and had himj autograph while I was there.  What the hey, right?  I guess that I either have benign positional vertigo or some kind of virus, but either way, I am totally relieved.  I wasn't looking forward to entering this realm again.  I have to say, I feel like I dodged a bullet on this one.  He want me to repeat a scan in a year or two indefinitely.  Apparently, you are never safe from these darn ANs.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:01:22 pm »
That's great news Cynaburst!  Glad to hear you have no regrowth, but I hope you are able to get relief from your vertigo soon (without surgery!) :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.