Author Topic: Curious for opinions  (Read 2835 times)

Battyp

Curious for opinions
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:39:41 pm »
Lisa K sent me this web page and I'm curious to others reactions and opinions.  I often feel like I've gotten dumb since my surgery and this was very enlightening to me.  I had my vestibular sacrified and was led to believe it only affected my balance. 

http://www.backgroundfacts.com/menieres/COGDIS.htm

matti

Re: Curious for opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:02:39 pm »
I am so glad you sent me this article. I felt my problems were finally validated. I see so much of myself in this article. Tomorrow I am seeing a neurologist and I plan to ask his opinion. My surgeon tells me there is no connection, I honestly do not believe him. I was not like this prior to my surgery, but noticed alot of these problems quickly after. My husband noticed right away as well. Somedays I feel like I took a stupid pill.

Thanks again!

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:35:22 am »
battyprincess: Great article, what I was able to read, digest of it and remember....I have a lot of that , from what I can remember! ;D What I have never been able to understand is why some days are better than others and some things easier than others, I can see fatigue being a biggie and I guess how much something grabs our attention. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 06:45:12 am »
the joke in my house is keep mom from shining objects if you want the task complete.  It does not take much to distract me. I know when I'm tired (which seems to be always) I do worse.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:35:27 am »
I read the article and some of it fits me to a T. However, I was given occupational therapy after my surgery and one thing she said would help is to do word finds and other crossword puzzles. So I do them on a regular basis and find my memory is not as bad as it was in the beginning. 

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 10:20:34 am »
I've tried and  continue to do word finds and crossword puzzles.  I have vision problems so they drive me nuts and my attention span is worse then a goldfish!  Has anyone been told anything else to try?

matti

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 08:33:01 pm »
Well I saw a neurologist today and I asked him if he thought there was a connection. He said he would not rule it out and believes that more studies should be done regarding this issue. Would not elaborate anymore.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:19:19 pm »
I asked my physical therapist today and she became very vague with me.  She finally did admit that vestibular problems cause you to have a "delay" in your processing.  I couldn't get her to agree that it was causing me to be so tired all the time..think she didn't want me to cut my therapy short since I have 3 more weeks to go