Author Topic: Complications  (Read 2387 times)

cjtender

• My blog
Complications
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:28:27 am »
I have been MIA because the day before mothers day  (10 days postop) I noted some leakage from my post op nostril side.......I was re-admitted to the hospital and a large spinal catheter for a week...the had to drain me hourly......I am finally back home now after almost a month and although am a little slow still am doing much better

Question:  Anyone else notice hair loss after the surgery? Mine us comming out in clumps now
Patty  34 , RN ,  Dx with 3x2cm (plum grape) size AN on 3/6/2009 and ALL  removed-- retosigmoid on 4/28/09 with Selesnick/Gutin at SLoan Kettering in NYC

TP

Re: Complications
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:35:10 am »
I am so sorry you had complications. I had two CSF leak repair surgeries as well on my third visit to the hospital I had a lumbar drain put in to help. In my case I didn't have fluid from my nose but from my incision. I got menigitis the second time in the hospital and that was horrible.

I did see my hair thin out quite a bit but it is back to normal. I hope you have a wonderful recovery. Please get plenty of rest and don't overdue it until you get the "ok" from your Dr.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:10:34 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your CSF leak you got for mothers day, but glad that you got it taken care of before further infection set in!  I did not notice any hair loss other than what they removed from around my incision.

Now no more leaks, you hear?

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33:09 pm »
Hi Patty and good to know you are hanging in there. As we all know, CSF leaks sometimes come with the territory (even for radio-treatments) and glad to hear you are back home.  Hope you feel better soon.

As for the hair loss... *puts on cosmetologist hat*..... when the system endures a "shake up" (ie: meds change, trauma, illness, etc), they all take their toll on the system....

I'm going through the same thing, even as of this weekend.  I've had meds change and new illness diagnosis and my hair, even after 3 yrs Post-CK, falls out in clumps. I have a lot of hair to spare, but at this rate, I'm worried. 

Massage of the scalp and heat and good diet should help... just a thought.

*takes off cosmetologist hat*

Hang in there. Good to see you back.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:27:45 pm »
Patty ~

I'm sorry you had to suffer with a CSF leak and the additional time in the hospital but it's good to learn that you're home and recovering.  Apparently hair loss is not uncommon with some AN complications but, fortunately, any hair loss seems to be purely temporary, so, not to worry.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:44:30 pm »
Hope everything starts going in the right direction for you.  About 2 months post-op my hair started to thin A LOT but very evenly, so not to leave bald spots.  I lost a pretty fair amount.  I finally asked my family doc about it a couple of weeks later and she suggested taking an over the counter biotin tablet daily.   I did so, and after about 2 weeks it decreased significantly, and by a month later, it stopped falling out completely.  It is always worth a try.  BUT, ask your doctor first.  A half pill (500 mcg) worked for me.  Our bodies go through so much with procedures and mostly the medication.  The hair loss seems very normal, albeit annoying.

-Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.