Author Topic: Percentage of surgical cases that present CSF leak?  (Read 2569 times)

Robquinn9

Percentage of surgical cases that present CSF leak?
« on: March 20, 2006, 08:08:55 am »
Just curious if anyone might recall what their doctors recited as the percentage liklihood that a CSF leak would present itself?

My wife had the retrosigmoid procedure 3/13/06 for a 2.8 x 2.5 AN, and then she developed a CSF leak 3/18/06.  She's currently got a lumbar drain in as we speak.

Our doctor said that 3-4% of his practice's cases would present this condition.
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

wanderer

Re: Percentage of surgical cases that present CSF leak?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 10:20:26 am »
that is similar to the number I remember.

Although I have heard numbers as high a 6% to 10% through my reading.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:50:14 am »
My dr. never even mentioned the possibility of a CSF leak. 

Mine happen because my tumor was so large and it rubbed on (for lack of a better term) lining in my brain. I sneezed and rupture it causing me to have a second surgery to repair the lining and a drain was installed at that time.  I spent 5 days in the hospital on my back, unable to get up.

I wish your wife the best.
Denise

Static

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 04:25:53 pm »
My situation was similar to Denise but I didn't go right in for the test.........long story.  I spent only 3 days on my back with the drain and had a few spinal headaches but caffeine was recommended for it and did help.  I don't drink coffee or hot tea so I drank lots of iced tea.  Maybe that is something your wife can try if she develops the spinal headaches, caffeine in some way or another.  I wish her the best.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Katja

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 05:13:56 am »
Hi there!
Changes for CSF leak are very small. When I had my first one doctor said it is very seldom and he closed everything. When I had my second one from my nose he said that he has done surgeries for 20 years and he has never never faced problem like I had. That was something strange for him.  He was just shaking his head...But don't worry surgeries for CSF leak is much smaller and easier than the main operation. Good Luck!
3.5cm tumor right side. Oper. Jun04 lost hearing, CSF leak oper. Sep04 & Mar05. :-*

Robquinn9

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 02:18:43 pm »
Procedure was a success yesterday.  Home and recovering.
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.