Author Topic: questions about CSF  (Read 4585 times)

Jsoule

questions about CSF
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:29:23 am »
Hello, Haven't posted for sometime. I had surgery 18 months ago and all went well, no CSF, just the usual recovery process. I have always been very scared of the possibility of CSF. Not sure why, but need some information on those of you who have had leaks and what happened. Does this happen on the nostril of the operative side? I have sinus stuff most of the winter due to allergies,I do have post nasel drainage, but I  noticed my operative side never runs, at least until yesterday it started. Not a lot, but noticed it and now just wondering if this is of importance. Dr. said after surgery I would know if I had a leak....still unclear, and  probable over reacting. Any words of experience would be helpful...Thanks Julie

DeniseSmith

Re: questions about CSF
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 02:45:23 pm »
J,
Hi, I had a CSF leak about six weeks after my initial surgery.  I sneezed and it sounded like thunder inside my skull. Then I started dripping liquid out of my left nostril, AN Left Side. When I leaned over the fluid would just flow like a faucet.  I also, got severe headaches, worse than any i had experienced in the hospital. 
D.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 03:25:48 pm »
But at 18 months out wouldn't you expect the sinuses on the AN side to drain out the nostril as normally functioning sinus.?  I mean maybe this is just nasal drainage.  Do you have stiff neck?, dull headache?, nausea?

wanderer

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 04:06:45 pm »
very rare to get a CSF leak this far out of surgery.

Even 6 weeks is rare.   Mine occurred though the incision, nothing through the nostril.

I started getting tired,   Like walk across a room and feel like I had to sit down tired.    Headaches are also common with CSF.

I wouldn't concern yourself with it.   While spontaneous CSF leaks can occur even in normal people it is very remote.   

FlyersFan68

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:09:08 pm »
  I have to completely agree with wanderer. I didn't want to say anything because I guess anything is always possible but being this far out and never had one from the start...I don't know?? 
  I never had a CSF leak either and as each week passed following surgery I felt more and more in the clear and of course much more at ease. You can always contact your doctor but they will never say anything for sure over the telephone. They might say "extremely unlikely but not impossible" or "come in and get checked"!
  My nose on the AN side didn't run for a while either and when it did it was thin and fast but that was in very cold weather since I do a lot of work outdoors. It stopped once indoors then eventually both sides became normal and simular. At this point, it doesn't even cross my mind and hasn't for quite some time. I am almost 2 years since surgery.
  Obviously, there isn't anyone here that can say anything for sure so maybe contacting your doctor may help you feel better! I am personally very pleased at this two year mark and hope things remain exactly the same from now on. Take Care & Call Your Doctor.

Static

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 09:32:14 pm »
My csf leak was at 4 mos but I knew it was there sooner.  Any time I leaned over, a clear, thin liquid would pour out of my right nostril (an side) and I wasn't congested at all so I knew something was wrong.  Was just afraid of another surgery but then knew I had to do soomething about it because of the dangers involved with a CSF leak.  The test isn't fun, but it shows for sure if there is a leak or not.  Best wishes to ya!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Static

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 09:33:51 pm »
Forget to mention, about the sneezing part.........I was told to sneeze out of my mouth.  I tried, but not sure if that was the culprit or not.  I was really careful not to do anything I wasn't supposed to.  Sometimes I think things just happen  :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Robquinn9

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:01:22 pm »
My wife had her AN removed on 3-13-06.  On 3-18-06, she noticed the leak.  We were readmitted and she now has a lumbar drain.  I'm told, much like some of the posts here, that she's looking at another 3-4 days in the hospital.
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 02:18:31 pm »
Rob, how is your wife doing?  Any more troubles since the CSF leak?  How is she doing at home?

Still thinking of her and hoping she is doing well!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Robquinn9

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 07:40:39 am »
Gennysmom,

I updated the "Family member support" thread this morning.

Breifely, and to asnwer your question, great.

Rob
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.