Author Topic: Update on HeyCT - NOT an Acoustic Neuroma!  (Read 2557 times)

HeyCTs Sister

Update on HeyCT - NOT an Acoustic Neuroma!
« on: May 22, 2009, 09:28:05 pm »
My sister asked me to keep you all updated post-surgery while she is still in the hospital.....Carolyn had surgery on May 20 at Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto, CA.  Surgery was approximately 9 hours and she did NOT have an acoustic neuroma.  She had a hemangioma in the internal auditory canal which is an abnormal malformation of the blood vessel that can mimic all the symptoms of an acoustic neuroma and is rarely seen in the internal auditory canal.  It was all twisted, wrapped around and was compressing the nerve.  This is the third hemangioma of this kind her doctor has seen.  She has total hearing loss in one ear and no facial palsy, but the facial muscles are a little weak.  She’s expected to be released by May 24th or 25th.  Her 21 month old baby is doing extremely well in the care of her loving family.  Thanks for all the support and concern you’ve given my sister!

Karen

suboo73

Re: Update on HeyCT - NOT an Acoustic Neuroma!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:53:19 am »
Hi Karen! Thank you for the update on your sister!  Sounds like things went well and now recovery time for her.

She went to Stanford, fantastic!
Please give your sister our best and tell her we are here for you, her, and the family.

Thoughts and prayers.
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:49:45 am »
Well, well, well! Welcome, Carolyn, to my lonely little hemangioma club! (We're less-than-1% of the less-than-1% group.)

I am thrilled she had good results despite the little demon being all twisted around everything. May her face stay strong and her recovery be speedy!

Thank you for taking the time to do the update.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:57:25 am by Lilan »
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:06:19 am »
Just reviewed some of HeyCT's older postings and her major symptom seems to have been facial spasms, though her tumor was just 9mm by 6mm.

Early facial symptoms with a very small tumor are a hallmark of a hemangioma and should raise suspicion of one. On MRI, they are not distinguishable from an AN or similar tumor. On CT, they show a pattern of honeycomb bone erosion that confirms the diagnosis. (To the extent it can be confirmed before they have tissue under a microscope.)

I am glad she chose surgery as radiation is not considered an option for these. It sounds like it was dissected beautifully off the facial nerve in her case. The nice thing about a hemangioma is that facial function will very often improve, not just stay the same, after treatment. I'm sure her FN is luxuriating in all its lovely new space now that it's not being strangled anymore!  ;D

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:13:50 am »
Wow, now we have two hemangioma's on the forum.   What are the odds?  Any more out there?

Karen -

thank you so much for the update.  I'm glad to hear that Carolyn - and your niece - are going well.

Families are great for getting patients through surgeries like this one, so it's wonderful that Carolyn has all your support.

Please give her our best.  We're looking forward to her return to the Forum.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:12:39 am »
There are 50 cases in the reported literature -- House is about to publish a paper on an additional 19 that it has seen over 20 years. It's not much to go on when you're diagnosed and looking for research for your decision-making!

For HeyCT's sake, I'm actually glad she didn't know what she had, because the older numbers on this are not very happy ones -- it probably saved her a lot of worry, and here she is now with an intact facial nerve anyway!.  ;D

The new House study will report much more favorable outcomes and is cause for increased optimism among those of us facing surgery for this.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 07:23:42 am »
Karen,

Glad to hear your sister is doing well and will soon be home.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

heyct

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:02:58 pm »
I'm baaack! Today has been my 2nd full day at home & so glad to be here except it's in the hundreds & can't sleep well in the king size bed :)

I sprung a CSF leak. I think it happened right out of surgery because the nausea was so bad, but no one asked the right questions until the day later when I was being moved out of ICU. Got the lumbar drain & I finally went home on Monday, Memorial day. So can I still stay in the AN club anyways? I still need to research the hemangioma story & have it repeated by my doctor re how bad it actually was, how sticky etc. I'm going back next week to get the staples out.

All in all, I'm doing very well. I only have "neck gushing" issues. Instead of getting a head rush, it feels like my neck is having a rush of blood flow & throbs. Other than that, I'm doing the stairs in our house & getting around fairly well. Getting in as much sleep as I can since my son was born:)

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for your insite & support & KNOW I made the right decision, as Lilian posted earlier. If I had chosen radiation, they would have never got it all & I know I'd still have symptoms possibly even worse. Good luck to all the other new posties.
Carolyn

Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »
Welcome Baaaacccckkkk! Of course you are welcome in the AN club.

Sorry to hear about your CFS leak.

Keep us posted.

Kate

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:20:01 am »
Welcome home Carolyn!

Now rest when you can and i will pray for continued and rapid healing.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

heyct

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:33:01 pm »
Carolyn here again. Got my stitches out today & more info on my dastardly hemangioma, since I was so out of it after surgery.

As posted earlier, it is very rare. The doctor described it as cotton candy completely engulfing & compressing my facial nerve. I still have to do followup MRIs as there was a small portion they could not get to in my skull. The hemangioma is slow growing, as the AN, but I sure pray I don't have to go thru this again in another 10 years! I don't wish it on anyone. My only new side effect is I now have a "fullness" in my deaf ear. They said that was normal, now that I am completely deaf. We also talked briefly about hearing aids. We'll come back to it later, but apparently there are a couple new technologies coming out soon. One is a removeable retainer in the mouth!

I'm doing fantastic! My balance was long gone, so I already had compensated and am walking, turning my head well. Doing so well, the doc suggested I stop my medications!...ok, so I'm not going to do that quite yet. I can probably start driving short distances (haven't yet), but still won't be able to pick my son up for 2 months  :'(

For all those newbies posting, I just wanted to say:

The hair thing isn't that much. They shaved maybe less than an inch strip & the scar is tucked nicely behind my ear.

If you are scheduled for surgery, get into a good head space, whether it is prayer, meditation etc...Don't want to get too new ageish here, but I really found meditation during this whole ordeal. I feel I was in an excellent mind space before the surgery & truly believe it has helped me heal quickly. PM me if you want more details. Afterall, what else are you going to do laying in the hospital bed w/nausea, a lumbar drain & attached to IVs & doped up on painkillers!

Try to think & be positive!

Take care,
Carolyn

Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

CTPatient

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »
Carolyn,

Wishing you a continued great recovery.

Sally

Dawn

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:05:07 pm »
Hi,

Just saw this thread,  I was very glad to read that all went well with your sister.  I too have something in my Internal Auditory Canal and they are not sure if it is an Acoustic Neuroma, Lipoma or hemangioma.  I was told surgery was difficult to get to this area and the risk of facial nerve damage was high therefore I am waiting and watching.  Have another MRI scheduled in August.

Keep us posted on her recovery, her story gives me hope that they can possibly get this thing out of my head without facial damage.

Dawn
Diagnosed 12/08...4mm Left AN in IAC...Wait and Watch for now...Next MRI scheduled for 8/09 Doctors not sure if its AN, Lipoma or Hemangioma????

Also diagnosed with Chiari I Malformation - looking into options for that

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:10:32 pm »
Carolyn -

good to see you back  ;D

Many thanks to your sister for updating us in your absence.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways