Author Topic: Got my pictures  (Read 1888 times)

RichardS

Got my pictures
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:29:19 am »
Hello All,

I dropped in here 9 months ago when I had an MRI scan for a possible AN. Happily it was clear, but I still have the symptoms: ear fullness, hearing loss, tinnitus, facial tics and tingles and balance issues. So I went through the hoops that the NHS puts in your way, paid my £50, and got copies of the radiologists report and the films from my scan. It's nice to be told that your brain is normal for age!
Needless to say I spent some time looking at the films, and can see all sorts of odd objects, but I have no idea whether they should be there or not.
I would really like a second opinion on the scan. Do you know of somewhere I can take the films for an authoritative answer? (I'm in the UK By the way) I would like to be sureas well  that the scan, which was done without contrast, was adequate for the diagnosis.
I am desparate for some kind of diagnosis for my symptoms - if I can definitively eliminate an AN I can start looking for answers elsewhere.
Thanks

Lilan

Re: Got my pictures
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:46 am »
Why no contrast, is that all the system will pay for?

If you look at MRI films with contrast, even an amateur can see even a small AN -- it's a very clear white spot that shows up on one side and not the other! Just to left or right of the center of the brain. Google "acoustic neuroma on MRI" and then click on Images to see some examples.

IMO, dizziness and tinnitus are rather vague symptoms that can indicate a lot of things, but if you're also having hearing loss, facial tics and balance issues, I don't blame you for continuing to seek a specific diagnosis. I can't answer anything about the system in the UK unfortunately, but I would encourage you to keep searching for better answers! Best of luck!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:53:56 pm »
if you have a cd or photos on computer you could send the pictures to INI (International Neroscience Institute) Hannover Germany.  They replied back (no charge) within 24hrs when I sent them my photos.   I couldn't aford to have my surgery done there but there are people from all over the world that travel to hannover for surgery.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:25:31 am »
Richard am also in the uk, was your scan done with dye? also pay for a private consultation with a neuro consultant, dont be surprised if you see your own doctor lol NHS EH
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:26:31 am »
ps richard, pay for another private mri WITH dye
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

RichardS

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:58:50 am »
Thanks for the replies all. I am on holiday the next couple of weeks, and then I shall post off the pictures to one of the places suggested. Thanks for your advice, Anne - if a second opion comes back anything other than a definite "no you dont have an AN" then I will go private, unless  I can put a bomb under the NHS. Needless to say the scan was done without dye - I am hoping I can persuade the NHS to perform another scan with dye - but who knows? Unfortunately I didn't know this place when I went for the scan, or I would have made a scene at the time.
Very helpful place this forum - thanks again

Richard