Author Topic: Has anyone gone with a different opinion than the House's?  (Read 3147 times)

tenai98

Re: Has anyone gone with a different opinion than the House's?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 09:10:52 am »
I went with my local doctor. I was very happy with the results.  I just recently learned that my neurosurgeon is also a prof.  Being in Canada not much is said about our Canadian docs.  Most want us to w & w, but I wasnt comfortable with that and opt for surgery. Both my ENT and neurosurgeon supported me with that decision. I have very little issues ei balance and wonky head. I consider myself very lucky not to have the facial paralysis, eye problem nor the headaches
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

AthenasMom

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 06:02:59 pm »
House is a great place for treatment.  I too did not go with them because I live in Ohio and frankly didn't want to be that far from home going through this. I had surgery at Cleveland Clinic and could not have been happier.  It is important that you make the best decision for you and do what makes you feel the most comfortable.  As long as you do your research and make an informed decision, you will make the best one.

Best of luck to you as you make your decision and work through your treatment and recovery.  We are here for you.
Surgery 4/26/02
Cleveland Clinic

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36:16 am »
I'm another Ohio success story and was glad to stay close to home.  I sent my MRI to House and they were very prompt in getting back to me....and they disagreed with my Ohio neurosurgeon's and neurotologist's recommendations.  But, I researched and researched, knew exactly how qualified my Ohio surgeons were in these types of surgeries, and put myself in their competent and compassionate hands.  I am doing great and have no regrets. 

You absolutely can drive yourself crazy and you remind me of my quest to have ALL of my questions answered prior to the big decisions.  Although you can't possibly guarantee your success based on good research, it is very important to know how experienced the surgeons are at these surgeries.  Folks on this forum told me during my decison-making phase to trust my instincts - they said once I had met with a few surgeons who I had found through good researching (House was included in that research), I would know.  It worked out just that way for me.

Best of luck to you...I'm wishing you peace of mind whomever you choose for your surgery!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!