Author Topic: Post Op Follow Up  (Read 2289 times)

RES

Post Op Follow Up
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:10:19 pm »
Hey All,

I had my 4 week post-op follow up at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics on Tuesday, June 16th. The MRI showed no signs of the AN and the audiology test showed my hearing on the left side to be the same as it was prior to surgery at 92%. During the 4 weeks post-op I had experienced slight facial weakness, dry eye, some memory loss, and changes in taste. Everything is back to normal and I returned to work on the 17th. I even played soccer this evening...no headers though  ;). I can't say enough about the medical staff at the U of I including Drs. Gantz and Woodson. They did a great job.

Thank you ANAUSA.org. The information and recommendations I received from everyone was very beneficial. I also appreciated the thoughts and prayers.

Here's a current pic. I'm getting used to the short hair  :).

God Bless,

Ron
Ron
AN 1.9CM Left Side
Middle Fossa Surgery @ University of Iowa 5/14/09
Drs. Gantz & Woodson (Great job!)
No major Post-op issues.

sgerrard

Re: Post Op Follow Up
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:19:55 pm »
I swear I was just wondering about you, Ron, it seems like it has been a while. What a great outcome, hearing included!

It sounds like you are doing great. I wish I had more short hair to get used to. ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:53 pm »
Wow! :o

Hearing preserved too! Great News.

That sounds astoundingly successful...

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 11:00:07 pm »
Ron ~

This kind of excellent surgery outcome is a real spirit-lifter and über encouraging!  May your recovery continue at this swift pace.  Thanks for posting!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lilan

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:41:47 am »
Ron, so thrilled! Congrats!!!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:18:01 am »
Ron, Good to hear how well you have done.      Another great Gantz alumni.            I was wondering if you had done well past that first  getting home and taking some time to recover.                    Makes for several who have done well.
A side note to those talking about types of AN drs.     Univ of Iowa uses the neurotologist and then the "Fellow" neurotologist
for their AN surgeries.               
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:30:44 am »
Ron .....

So good to hear of your super outcome ..... this is an inspiration to all AN patients in the throes of decision-making!  Thanks for letting us know ..... and keep coming back to inspire others!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011