Author Topic: Great Experience! 2009 Midwest Regional Brain Tumor Conference  (Read 1343 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Hi All!

My husband and I attended our first conference today in Cincinnati.  The only session we attended was the breakout session on Acoustic Neuromas, due to scheduling conflicts, but it was worth the drive!!  Both of my surgeons presented (Dr. John Tew and Dr. Myles Pensak), as did Dr. Jess Guarnaschelli - all from the University of Cincinnati Brain Tumor Center.   Agnes Garino from ANA was there also and together, they gave a very informative session with lots of time for question/answer.  It was terrific to meet so many people who were in various phases of treatment and recovery.  They all spoke very highly of the ANA and I can only imagine how wonderful the Chicago symposium will be.  Dr. Tew and Dr. Pensak will be there, too, and you can't meet surgeons more knowledgeable and compassionate than this pair.  They have worked together as a team for a long time and I owe so much to both of them.   I also got to see Dr. Tew's clinical nurse, Nancy  -  she was my anchor for several months post op and was very patient with my endless questions!

I don't think I'll be able to go this summer, but this little session today convinced me that I need to remain engaged with ANA and all of the great folks who are part of it.  It has provided me with so much when I needed it desperately, and sharing experiences with others is very rewarding.   

My first order of business on Monday morning, is to schedue an appt with Dr Pensak to start pursuing the BAHA.  After his presentation, I am intrigued, and after reading so many positive stories from folks here, it's time to see what it's about!  I have found that when I'm at work, being SSD is a real problem.

Anyway, just had to share  -  can't wait to hear about the Chicago symposium and I'm looking foward to meeting so many of my network of angels sometime!!!   

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Kaybo

Re: Great Experience! 2009 Midwest Regional Brain Tumor Conference
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:40:02 pm »
Kathy~
Glad to hear it was beneficial for you!  Wish we would see you in Chicago!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:21:39 pm »
Kathy -

it sounds like the conference was well worth it.

Regarding the BAHA, I can't say enough good things about it.  Try the demo - you'll love it!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:03 pm »
Kathy ~

Thanks for the affirmative message on your experience at the Midwest Regional Brain Tumor Conference.  Your excitement is contagious!  I'm pleased to learn that it not only befitted you but serves as an impetus for your continued connection with the ANA.  We're happy to have your input on these forums and hope that continues.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.