Author Topic: Surgery Vs. Radiation and Headaches Caused by Tumor  (Read 4277 times)

juliec

Re: Surgery Vs. Radiation and Headaches Caused by Tumor
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 09:32:41 pm »
Thanks for everyone's response. I'm still as confused as ever. I've talked to four different doctors and all four say different things. Radiation is bad...surgery is bad...It's 1.3 cm long, it's 1.75 cm long, it's pressing against the brain stem, it's pressing only against the dura around the brain stem...it's too big to have middle fossa surgery...it's not too big for middle fossa surgery.  I hate this. I have one more doctor I'm going to see on Tuesday. Then I'm done. By the way, one of the doctors (actually my favorite and first choice) thinks there's a good possibility this may be a facial nerve schwannoma and he'll take as much as he safely can if it is. No other surgeon will touch it if it is. They say they'll close me up and wait for more symptoms.  :(   Any thoughts?
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

suboo73

Re: Surgery Vs. Radiation and Headaches Caused by Tumor
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 03:55:11 am »
Hi Juliec,

I wanted to extend my welcome to the Forum as well - but sorry you had to join this AN club...

Right now i am in W & W mode, because i agree with you, this whole thing IS confusing.  (My AN is about 1 cm.)
I have known about mine since last Oct. and am still doing my research, having seen one surgeon and one radiosurgeon.  (Same facility.)

Although i have not done this (yet) perhaps you should consider sending your MRI pics and such to House Institute in CA for another opinion.
I e-mailed one of the House docs on a Sunday afternoon with a question, and he rang my cell phone at 9:00AM EST - was i surprised!

Most importantly, this tumor is benign and slow growing, so as long as you don't find any other symptoms popping up, you have time to do your research.
For myself, i want to have the most experienced docs i can find, and i am leaning towards CK at Stanford. 

Don't hesitate to ask additional questions. 
My thoughts and prayers are with you on this journey!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W