Author Topic: Tandem Bicycling - now this is the life!  (Read 1871 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Tandem Bicycling - now this is the life!
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:58:33 pm »
My husband just bought us a bicycle for two!  I was itching to get back on my bicycle and he was not convinced that was such a good idea just yet.  SO - he was waiting for me to get home from work with this beautiful bike sitting in the living room.  We took a nice bike ride on the bike trail and I was exhausted when we got back.   But, I did it, and in a far safer way than on my own steam.  He found it online at a great price (this is not one to go on a long trek) and it suits us just fine. 

For those of you posties who want to get back in the saddle but just aren't ready for soloing yet, this might be a nice alternative.   Can't wait til tomorrow night's ride!!  This summer is really looking great!!

Kathy

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Darin

• The Running Tumor
Re: Tandem Bicycling - now this is the life!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:24:39 pm »
That is awesome! I bought a nice bike the weekend before i found out I had an AN, so I haven't gotten much use out of it yet. I am glad you are being brave and getting out there, enjoying the summer. I doubt my roommate (a guy) would be willing to ride a tandem with me. And I'm not so it's I'd want to either  ;) Congratulations on the progress!
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

NL

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:58 pm »
Kathy,

What a great idea for getting back on the trail! Glad you found a fun, safe way to enjoy the outdoors!

Happy trails!  ;D

Darin - I see your surgery is coming up soon. Best of luck, and hope you'll be back on your new bike before too long, too!  :)

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:05 am »
Kathy ~

Congratulations to you and kudos to your thoughtful husband!  A tandem bicycle is a great idea!  Enjoy!  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:11:23 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:37:18 pm »
Woo Woo!  Now, you can sit back and let him do all of the pedaling.  ;)  Congrats, Kathy!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 06:44:59 pm »
Hey Cheri - that's a great idea!!!  I'll see what I can do about a picture. 
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:13:20 am »
Kathy,

How truly thoughtful of your husband and what a fun way of doing something together.  I've been trying to psych myself up to get back on my bike for a while but haven't felt up to it yet.  I think I need to get all kinds of protective padding before I do (helmet, gloves. knee pads).  Enjoy your rides!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!