Author Topic: UPMC Facial Nerve Center??????????  (Read 3241 times)

Pembo

UPMC Facial Nerve Center??????????
« on: April 03, 2006, 03:03:10 pm »
Anyone ever go there? I know Jackie Diels is more popular for facial rehab but UPMC is alot closer. I talked with a PT today and it all sounds good but I'd love to hear from someone who has actually been there.

Anyone????
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

matti

Re: UPMC Facial Nerve Center??????????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:37:26 pm »
 Hi Pembo,

Have not been there, but was totally blown away with Jackie Diels article in this current ANA newsletter. I learned more from her than from any of the doctors that I have dealt with over the past 8 years. I now have a term for my facial issues, Synkinesis and sounds like there is hope in dealing with it.

I am going to e-mail her and see if there is anyone in my area that she recommends.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:53:58 am »
Matti, I too am in awe of Jackie Diels. I spoke with her by phone about a year ago but she said it was too early for me to do anything. (I was only 9 months post op).  She did say mention UPMC to me or said I could come to her. But 3 hours by car to UPMC is alot closer than 8.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 07:53:52 am »
 Ii only know Jackie also and she is an absolute sweetheart.    I am in Iowa so am not that far from her in Madison.         Past my first surgery I had damage and ended up with some tightness and synkinesis and made one visit to her.    I also talked to her at the last 2 AN symposiums.    The article is the current newsletter is very good.                   In most cases she doesn't like to see pts till they are a year post op so have a good idea of what is returning.               Since I am a nerve graft this time,I will have to wait for quite some time to see if it works.            Somehow though my face this doesn't look as bad with the paralysis this as it did the first time,    I had had full movement return.                                              Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care