Author Topic: Surgery to preserve hearing may affect tinnitus  (Read 3394 times)

Sonja

• Calendar
Surgery to preserve hearing may affect tinnitus
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:30:42 am »

I found this study interesting and posted it below. It is regarding how acoustic neuroma surgery to perserve hearing may affect tinnitus. If you are considering surgery and you have very little or unservicable hearing you may want to consider having translab as opposed to surgery to preserve hearing if you do not have tinnitus or consider the percentages of tinnitus after HP surgery.

Sonja

Does Hearing Preservation Surgery for Acoustic Neuromas Affect Tinnitus?
Kanzaki, Jin
Satoh, Akiyoshi
Kunihiro, Takanobu
Location: http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1656729

Questionnaires returned from 202 patients who had undergone acoustic neuroma resection were analyzed with special reference to the effect on tinnitus of surgery that attempted to preserve hearing versus surgery that did not. We also examined the relationship between postoperative hearing and tinnitus following surgery to preserve hearing (103 patients, HP group). The incidence of preoperative tinnitus in the HP group was 78.6%; postoperatively it increased to 89.3% (p = 0.0367). The remaining 99 patients (non-HP) underwent labyrinthectomy during tumor resection. In this group tinnitus occurred in 72.7% preoperatively and in 67.3% postoperatively (p = 0.4097). Our findings show that when tinnitus was absent preoperatively, 85% of the HP group developed it postoperatively compared to 31% of patients in the non-HP group. The outcome of surgery to preserve hearing had no bearing on the loudness or annoyance of postoperative tinnitus. Although postoperative tinnitus is tolerable to most patients, they must be informed prior to surgery about its possible occurrence or worsening, especially if the goal is to preserve hearing.

Belongs to: PubMed Central (PMC3 - NLM DTD)
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

Sonja

• Calendar
Re: Surgery to preserve hearing may affect tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:35:37 am »
Wanted to mention that I had translab surgery for resection of an acoustic neuroma about 5 weeks ago. I did not have pre-op tinnitus. To date I have not developed post-op tinnitus.  Considering the article I thought I would mention my case.

Sonja
Symptoms 2005
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:38:58 am »
Good stuff there Sonja,

I had loud pre-op tinnitus, which is about the same after HP surgery.  They weren't really able to save my hearing, but they did try.  Even with this study, the chance for saving hearing would outweigh the high chance for tinnitus, at least for me.  I would think that those that already have the tinnitus pre-surgery would feel the same way.  Chances are the tinnitus will still be there regardless of the approach used.  This information is probably more important to those that don't have the tinnitus prior to surgery.  To be honest, if I hadn't developed the tinnitus, I would not have gone to the ENT about my slight hearing loss anyway.

Thanks for posting this though.  I'm gonna send it along to my surgeon and see what he thinks.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

microsoftfree

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:58:45 am »
I was hoping from the title that they were saying they could now fix tinnitus with preservation of hearing surgery. Always hopeful, lol.

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:07:15 am »
Ernie:

I agree with you. If I had tinnitus pre-op and servicable hearing I would have more than likely chosen HP surgery (retro). In my case I had no servicable hearing, basically SSD already and had no pre-op tinnitus. My main concern was the facial nerve. I was watch and wait when I started having facial twitching. My facial nerve was prioity. I had a better change of saving my facial nerve with translab. I did not know about this study pre-op, but even if I had I would not change anything in my situation. 

There are so many variables in dealing with this tumor and everyone has different goals and complications pre-op and post-op. I have read some of your post and am very happy to see you are recovering well. 

Sonja

Symptoms 2005
Watch & Wait until now

jlamborn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 07:45:50 pm »
In my case, I had some pre-op tinnitus and chose to have translab because there was no serviceable hearing left, plus wanted the best chance for the facial nerve.  After the surgery, my tinnitus almost doubled and continues to increase.  Having translab doesn't guarantee no tinnitus, at least in my case.  Just wanted to throw that in for an FYI.  In my deaf ear, I'll get a tea-kettle "whoosh' when the room is very quiet and there's a loud sound.  It's really strange to hear a reaction coming from that side.  Don't know how to describe it.
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:52:44 am »
I had tinnitus pre op. It had been constant for about 5 months prior to surgery. I went with translab to save the facial nerve as I had very little servicable hearing.  Post op....no tinnitus....
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:42:53 pm »
I had pre-op tinnitus that varied alot--in sound and volume. After retrosig surgery, the tinnitus is one consistent sound. The volume does still vary, but my hearing aid keeps it under control.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

FrankinCA

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:36:04 pm »
I had Kamma Knife when I was at 50% loss of hearing and now at 100% loss of hearing I have tenitis.  I also have tendenitis but am told that is simply from old age.