Author Topic: HI ZAC!! ... an update  (Read 2202 times)

Jeepers

HI ZAC!! ... an update
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:51:18 am »
Hi everyone!  Well, I'm now 2 weeks, 3 days post-op and I'm feeling great!!

[A little background for Zac ... I was watch and wait for 6 yrs and when balance probs started earlier this spring, the MRI confirmed growth. I know I should know this more precisley, but I believe my AN was just under 1.5cm right side. I already had lost quite a bit of hearing in those 6 yrs, with only 16% remaining. When initially diagnosed, I met with Dr. Leonetti at Loyola and Dr. Battista at Hinsdale. I continued my w&w with Dr. Battista, as I was always comfortable with him.

My approach was translab. Dr. B offered a 2nd approach, but I preferred the best "view" possible, which I also hoped would minimize post-op problems, if any. The plan was to cut both hearing and balance nerve - the hearing was crap anyway. IF they went in and saw some involvement with the facial nerve, the plan was to remove as much tumor as possible and then rely on radiosurg to hopefully finish it off, without compromising the facial nerve during surgery. Fortunately, they were able to get all the tumor out and the facial nerve was not an issue.]

My hospital stay was in Thurs am, out Mon am. Thurs/Fri sucked, but the change on Sat am was amazing! Sun even better and out the door first thing Monday. I found the staff at Hinsdale Hosp. very good, and ESPECIALLY EXCELLENT in Neuro ICU. Best of all, both Dr. Battista and Dr. Kazan (the neurosurg) are early risers, so no waiting around all day for them to drop in.  :)

My first week home I was, interesting enough, not very tired at all ... in fact, I was a bit wired. I tried to nap and rest, but as soon as I laid down, I'd get antsy all over again. I did my exercises and felt improvement each day, as Dr. Battista said I would. (He then said I would start seeing improvement week by week). I eventually crashed toward the end of the week and found the pleasure of little afternoon naps .... aahhhhh!

I can't begin to tell you how amazed I am at how the brain starts recovering from this - balance wise. I did a portion of my exercises outside, which I find helps a great deal, as a "busy" environment optimizes recovery.

I went in this past Mon to get my stitches out (and immediately home to wash my hair ... another aahhhhh!!). I was surprised at how overstimulating the car ride was. Movement, head turns and vision were definitely on overload. Dr. B said I was doing very well and it was nice to get the stitches out, as it relieved some of the tightness on that side. My head at the incision is still numb, but I have not had any headaches or pain AT ALL!!

Regarding pain ... I was sent home with Vicodin, which I took the first two days. After that, I only took a couple of Tylenols, mostly to prevent a twinge from progressing, but I soon found that the twinges only lasted maybe 10-20 secs anyway. I was taking some antibiotics because of an IV site flare-up and what I thought might be a UTI, but all else is well.

This past Fri. I started vestibular rehab at the local Athletico. The PT told me I should definitely continue to seek out those "busy" environments ... grocery store with people walking around, carts, aisles, parking lots ... it all seemed so simple, but it's the next level of rehabilitation and getting myself out there definintely helps. I've got myself signed up for 3x/wk since it's nearby and I've got the time.

When my exH picked me up from rehab on Fri, he brought my car (stick-shift) and let me drive home. He was leaving the next day and wanted to see how I did - I also wanted to try since it was a quick couple of blocks with very light traffic. While I don't think I'm ready for the big streets yet, driving was not bad at all. Being aware of sudden head movements is the most important thing.

Regarding Dr. Battista, in particular, I, like Jan, love him. He's very low key, but listens to what you have to say and answers each question honesty and thoroughly. I found his demeanor very reassuring and calming. If you have any specific questions or would rather PM or e-mail, I'll be happy to help.

I think I'm covering just about most of it and can't get over how wonderfully things are progressing.

:)
Diagnosed 2003-right side-1cm AN
Wait and watch for 6 yrs; 2009 showed growth w/balance issues
Translab 7/9/09 - Drs. Battista/Kazan (Hinsdale IL); SSD
Recovering well!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: HI ZAC!! ... an update
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:41:44 pm »
Jeepers ~

Thanks for the comprehensive update.  It's fun to read all the positive news.  Your recovery experience seems to be similar to my own: rapid.  :)  The vestibular rehab exercises should move that part of your recovery right along.  I'll bet you're driving again within another two weeks (including highways).  I'm just pleased to learn how successful your surgery was and how good you're doing, now.  Keep it up, don't overdo anything - and keep us informed, because we care.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:15:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing about your progress, Jeepers. I hope recovery continues well.
Keep enjoying those naps!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 09:20:21 pm »
Joyce -

thanks so much for the update.  You are doing SO well - stellar performance!  ;D

I alerted Zac to this link, so hopefully he'll be reading it soon if he hasn't already.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

zzzmojo

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 12:26:44 am »
Thx to you all for the update and dedication to help others understand and deal with AN

-Zac