Author Topic: the earring  (Read 4133 times)

thecakes

the earring
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:07:01 am »
  I think it would be neat to wear an earring for the deaf, only thing is I have longer hair and it would hide it some.  If any of you find where this can be purchased let me know.  Maybe places where you can get a hearing ade?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: the earring
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:25:26 am »
cakes, I have no clue but like you, I have long hair (down to my waist). Heck, I'm allergic to gold in my ears but do have some diamond studs my *ew!* ex-spouse bought for me years ago.

Will lurk this thread for thoughts on this. :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:17:35 am »
I had diamond studs my ex spouse bought and the dog ate them  lol  OOPS

I've thought about an earring or something.  I know there is a pin aval but would people really notice it? 

How about a fake hearing aid in your ear painted red of course think that would make people realize you can't hear well?

matti

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:58:08 am »
In another thread Kathleen had metioned that she thinks there is an earring available from the Canadian AN assoc, that says "out of order". I thought that was a great idea.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:08:37 am »
I looked for it but never found it  :(

kimmy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:13:53 am »
If you look on the website "ANAC"  and click on News you will see the lapel pin and the earrings that say "out of order". I don't know how you would order them though. Hope this helps!
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

shoegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 08:12:00 pm »
Kimmy,

Not sure if I found the right site?  Is it www.ANAC.org?
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 06:59:59 am »
To all those interested in the "out of order earing" go to the Canadian Acoustic Neuroma Associaiton site: www.anac.ca and from the home page go into the "news" section and there you will find the earings. Undernearth the red picture area there is a spot to "click" for information on how to order one. Also there is an internet support, much like this one here, for anyone interested (maybe find a different perspective on issues). Kathleen
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:06:04 am by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 07:42:05 am »
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Static

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 04:07:17 pm »
I think it sounds like a good idea but.............. even after I have told people that I am deaf in one ear, they say "well, you can still hear in the other ear" and I just let it go.  It's just not the same hearing out of only one ear and also with the tinnitus in the background, depending on the sound level around me, sometimes I feel completely deaf.  People just don't get it.  Maybe an idea would be something to just smack some sense into people so that they do "get it".  Just having a bad day I guess.  :-\
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

thecakes

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 04:07:02 pm »
  Yes, its www.anac.can. I ordered a 'OUT OF ORDER" pin. The cheapee for 1o.oo dollars.  The earrings cost a bit more.  I forgot, but it was in the 100's