Author Topic: Vestibulr Schwannoma  (Read 1858 times)

jaczach

Vestibulr Schwannoma
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:46:51 pm »
Looking for the best hospital anywhere in the USA for a vestibular schwannoma - can you identity such and tell me why it is the best?"
 ???

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Vestibulr Schwannoma
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:02 pm »
There are a number of excellent treatments teams in the US, from House Ear Clinic in LA to NYU in NY.  Have you consulted with anyone yet?  Where are you located? 

You probably already know that depending on the size and placement of the AN/VS you may have several surgical and radiological options open to you.  The key is to find a treatment team who !) you are comfortable with personally, and B) who have significant experience treatment Vestibular Schwannomas.  If you can give us some idea as to what part of the country you are in, I am sure that there will be many of us here who can recommend a team near you. 

Try to stay calm.  Let us know how we can help.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:15:17 pm »
Welcome...  We can understand how you feel right now...we've all been there...it is very nerve wrecking when you are first diagnosed.  Take a few to get the comfort of family and friends. 

You have found a great source of information and people who truly care for each other.  Ask any question that you would like, or just vent....all is OK.  Again, welcome to our cyber family.

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:36:13 pm »
Hi Jaczach, 

I want to say "welcome" - but sorry you have to join this exclusive AN club.
As you are already finding out, this is a special place - filled with FANTASTIC folks!  ;D

There are many wonderful facilities, as Debbi stated in her post - I live in Virginia, but have also visited John Hopkins in Baltimore, MD.
I think it is important to research, research and research. Then, take a break when you need to - sometimes it is all abit overwhelming.
Some folks find a doc and facility they are comfortable with first time around - me, i have been here about 9 months and still considering all options. 

We wish you well on your AN journey - indeed, it is a journey like no other. 
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Keep posting!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:13:24 pm »
jaczach -

okay I'm beginning to think this is a trick question.  You are the third new user today who has asked this same exact question - but in three different areas of the forum.

Is this a test or something??

Is it possible that you are the same person using three different user names?

Jan
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:15:47 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways