Author Topic: Going back to work  (Read 3465 times)

mandy721

Going back to work
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »
Over the past few days I have been thinking more and more about Ken returning to work and have great concerns about it.  It is much to early to think about it, he is 4 1/2 weeks post-op and is on short-term leave up through the beginning of November.  His job is very demanding and he does a good deal of international travel.  Do people recover well enough to go back to jobs with these kind of schedules?  This is just one of the things going through my head right now.   
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Going back to work
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:19:56 am »
Hi Mandy:  I'm glad to hear Ken has 2 more months time to recuperate.  It will help to give him time to build his strength/stamina.
I have total facial paralysis & went back to work 3 days/week for 2 weeks then full time - I started at 2 months post op.
Everyone is different in their recovery, but if he is walking, building up distance, etc.  he should be okay by November.
Can he start part time at 1st ?  My job is mainly mental with alot of walking,  but no international travel !   I would hope he can
put the travel on hold until he adjusts to returning to work.  Again,  he'll know when he's ready to take on the travelling.

When I 1st went back to work I was sooo tired after, I felt like I'd never be able to get back to full time/full speed.  But little
by little it happened !

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
(ps:  I saw your other thread on neurofacial therapist - sorry I can't help with that, I never got movement back).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 05:30:11 am »
You've probably read it here several times that everyone is different in their recovery, but yes I believe Ken can and will make it back to his normal schedule. I too have a fairly demanding(mentally) job that requires domestic and international travel. I will admit that I did not feel like traveling before 2 months post op, but after that I was fine. It sounds like Ken still has quite a bit of time...I know it may be difficult to see the progress when you're there with him every day, but I think you'll be amazed at the ability he'll have to return to normal(physically and mentally) during the next couple of months. I would recommend him being as physically active as possible....that seemed to help me with my recovery and getting back to normal.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

moe

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:10:03 am »
Hi Mandy,
It does take time- slow and easy. But sounds like Ken has lots of time to get back to the full time routine.
Definitely start part time, even if it means starting back to work before November.
And exercise/walking is good. Does Ken exercise/work out?
Everyone's story is different, and it all depends on what kind of post op "nuances" he/she has.
Some have none, others have headaches or tinnitus or balance/"wonky head " issues.
I assume he is SSD? (single sided deafness)>
This is one thing that might be annoying as he travels and does business, but there is always the BAHA device for hearing on the deaf side.
Let us know how he is doing. I can tell you care deeply. Sometimes harder being the caregiver, than the patient!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:29:59 am »
Hi Mandy
As has been said before, everyone is different. I was back to work at 6 weeks-part time the first week. For me, it felt good to be in a normal routine again and it was good to make my brain process information again. I do not travel internationally but did travel cross country at two weeks post op and for work cross country at 5 months post op-it was exhausting on the work trip because I was in work mode 24/7 for four days straight but I just tried to take extra time for rest when I returned home.  If Ken has the time he should take it but if he feels like it would be good for him to get back into it sooner then maybe getting back into his normal rountine gradually would be positive for him? Everyone has different needs and for me being back to work was a positive step in my recovery. As others have said, taking the time Ken has left before returning to work to become as active as possible will only help him when he does return to work and his travel.

Erin

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 11:29:28 am »
Hi Mandy,
At first I too was worried about returning to my job (I teach kindergarten). I went back at 12 weeks part time. I was pooped by the time I got home, could eat, have a hot bath and went right to bed. I slowly build up my stamina again.
I am almost 15 months post op and am back to my regular crazy self although my body and head do not hesitate to remind me to slow down and I have learned to listen and rest when I need to.
We all recover at different rates, lhopefully your husband will look back at this time and say remember when...
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:51:40 am »
It is much to early to think about it,

Mandy -

I think this statement you made hits the nail right on the head.

It IS much too early to think about it.  Ken is in the very early stages of recovery, and although he's making wonderful progress, he still has a long way to go.  November is still a few months away and the time to assess whether or not he can succeed at his job is several weeks from now. 

Your concern is definitely understandable, but IMO, and from my experience, Ken will be well enough to return to his job when the time comes.  Obviously I may be incorrect, but please don't put the horse before the cart.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »
Hi Mandy,

I agree with Jan. Ken had a rough two weeks in the hospital, so he has only been home a few weeks. If he is up and about now, and can go for walks every day, I think you will see a lot of improvement by the middle of October. That would be a better time to evaluate going back to work. He may not be ready for a world tour right away, but I bet he will be up for at least some part time work. Many find that returning to normal activities helps them complete the recovery process.

Best wishes to you and Ken,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:44:21 am »
Jan and Steve are right - I didn't even want to think about work that early after surgery either.  My surgery was in March and I went back to work start of August.  I probably would have had to go back earlier but I had my surgery in Australia and I work in the UK, so had to hang around in Aus for follow up appointments etc.  I'm really glad I had so much time off to recover though - when I did go back, I had a staged return ie: 5 hours a day first week, 6 hours second week and full hours the third week.  The first week I was really knackered, even almost fell asleep at my desk!  Having said that, I went to Australia for a 7 week holiday last November, and ended up staying for the surgery in March, so I think anyone would be tired after having 8 or 9 months off, let alone someone who had had brain surgery.  But the body adapts and although I'm probably not back to full speed (before I left I was doing 7 day weeks without a day off for months...I don't plan on repeating this!!) I'm back to doing the odd 10 hour day of overtime on a Saturday, so after a while Ken will probably be able to do pretty well.  I did a lot of air travel in Australia back and from hospital, and found the 23 hour flight back here fine, so I'm sure the travel shouldn't be a prob for Ken either.  Just as long as he knows he will be more tired to start with and that every day gets better and that (if he has any balance and SSD issues) subconsciously a lot of energy and effort goes into walking straight and having conversations with people and that is quite tiring too.  Sometimes at lunch now if I'm having a full on day, I'll just sit at my desk as I find it really stressful to be up in the lunch room as it's so incredibly noisy and I have to ask people to repeat themselves a lot.  It's just not, for me, a very enjoyable break to be sitting in that environment.  So yeah, as long as he knows he's not superman and he's not going to be back to full speed as soon as he goes back, but each day will be better.

Best wishes

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 04:36:56 am »
  Do people recover well enough to go back to jobs with these kind of schedules?  This is just one of the things going through my head right now.   

Yes, people recover well enough to go back to jobs with Ken's kind of schedule. Ken will know when it is right to go back to work.
Erin shared an important point. When Ken is ready, he will want to return as it will be another movement away from surgery and a step toward his normal routine.

As others have stated, easing into it is best because tiredness is usually the standard after a return to work.

Glad to read that Ken is making daily progress.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/