Author Topic: Questions about the Baja  (Read 2326 times)

FrankinCA

Questions about the Baja
« on: August 15, 2009, 11:52:32 pm »
I am seriously thinking about persuing the Baja.  I understand it does not make things perfect and I also understand everyone is different.  I would just like some feedback.

Right now my good ear is good and my bad ear is very very bad.  I have been told I in now way need a hearing aid for my good ear and it would not help me.  At this point no matter how loud the TV is I miss alot of words.  Does anyone who has the baja feel it helps this?

The other issue is of course people.  Once two people start talking I can't understand hardly anything.  Do those who have the Baja feel it will help with this?

I understand it does not help with direction of sound.  How true is that?

How long does it take after you have one implanted for it not to be sore and you can begin using it without being annoyed with pain or maybe irritation is a better word?

Thanks in advance for your kind thoughts.
Frank

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Questions about the Baja
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:58:35 am »
This is course is only MY OPINION ... but I've had a BAHA for 4 years now..... (and I did stay at a holiday Inn once  :D )

It depends on what it wrong with your "good" ear ... I might help a lot ! ... see if you can get a test band for a few days and watch TV with it....

fyi .... Part of my reasoning for getting the BAHA is because my "good" ear is the bottom end of good ...and my mother has 2 HA ... I'm sure I will need hearing help .. and I was hoping the BAHA will extend the time before I need a HA for the good ear.... in 20 years they will have even better BAHA's I hope....

I bet it wont help with two people talking... because I have that! ... remember, with the BAHA .. it still only 1 ear doing the work of two.. the brain does not understand this (its hardwired!) ... I describe its not being able to focus my hearing... its a side effect of no stereo hearing......

for me .. it does NOT help with direction .. it fact... its worse, because with 370 degree hearing... I cant spin my head and "guess" .. but thats ok.... its a good trade!

3 months...... the implant site was a little "messy" ... and they want it to bond with the bone ... so it was 3 months before they give it to you....

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:28:13 pm »
Frank -

the BAHA is INCREDIBLE!!!    ;D

I've had my Divino for 14 months now and I absolutely love it.  Hands down it's the best thing I've done for myself since I became SSD 2 years ago (due to AN surgery).

I justed returned from the ANA Symposium where I tested the new BP100 from Cochlear and it's even better than the Divino I am currently wearing.  It solves two big issues - directionality and noisy rooms.   There is also another contender entering the field in October - the Ponto from Octicon - and from what my doc said in his symposium speech it should be just as nice as the BP100.

I'll post more details later.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

FrankinCA

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:17:51 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  It helps alot

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:47:06 pm »
No problem.  If it wasn't for the feedback of those on the forum who went before me (joef included) I probably wouldn't be a BAHA wearer myself - and I'd hate to think of what I'd be missing  ;D

If you do schedule the surgery, please PM me or Lori (lori67) your mailing address and we'll send you one of our Official BAHA Recovery Kits.  It's free - and not many things in life are  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways