Author Topic: Is it too late to try accupuncture?  (Read 4147 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Is it too late to try accupuncture?
« on: May 28, 2009, 07:40:03 am »
I am almost 2 years post surgery. Facial paralysis with decent recovery. Is there a time limit on when acupuncture can be effective? I was wondering if any of you have asked your acupuncturist this or if there is any scientific theory on this. I would like to try it but if I am way past the point of it helping then I don't want to throw money down the drain as it isn't covered by insurance. I doubt that alot of research has been done since acupuncture isn't a widely accepted form of treatment but if any of you have any information I sure would appreciate it.
Angie

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: Is it too late to try accupuncture?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:01:34 am »
Hey Angie, I have no experience but I do have an opinion. (Imagine that!) There are so many instances of recovery past the two year mark that I think there is no reason not to try it if you feel it might be helpful. Until we are back close to normal or there has been a really long period with no improvement then I believe there is still room for hope.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

moe

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:41:04 am »
Hi Angie,
I too have been wondering if acupunture would help me. I'm going for my 18 month 12/7 transposition surgery in July, and will ask my doctor. I have had partial results with the surgery.  3 year surgery anniversary this June.
John posted some results of his acupuncture treatment, and he was 2 years post op; has seen results.
Here is the link for the post. It is interesting reading

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9318.0

I will follow this post too.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:32 am »
i was wondering this too if you find out let us know, i am 2.5years post op. i think i would give it another year before trying it.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:43:25 pm »
Angie~
After reading the results that someone (John, maybe?) put the other night - I was wondering the same thing and I am a LOT farther out than you are!  Let me know what you find out!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:31:43 am »
Hi Ang,
I just started acupuncture, I will keep you posted.
Michelle  :P
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

moe

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:50:20 am »
I did it-finally made a consult appt with acupuncturist here in Poulsbo, WA. (Sorry I keep pasting this post on different topics! This is the last one!)

Traditional chinese medicine- name is Robert Doane. He tooted his horn for a good 5 minutes. Apparently one of the largest clinics in the country (?), his clinic sees over 100 clients/day.
Has had success with bells palsy (acupuncture apparently is THE only treatment for bells palsy). Came highly recommended by 2 people I know.
His web site/ stats are impressive.
The proof is in the pudding, right? Will let you know how it goes!

So if one can afford it-keep open as an option to get movement back. I'm feeling optimistic about this :) Since my face is becoming more tingly by the day, I'm hoping and praying this helps things along.

For anyone with Bells Palsy, he has seen results with clients who have dealt with the facial paralysis for years.

Michelle, did you have results with your acupuncture???? ???
Maureen :-\, :)

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 02:30:54 pm »
Hi Maureen,
I started acupuncture the end of May. First twice a week then once a week. It was $40 per visit.
I wanted it to work so bad and during that time (2 months) my eye started to close a bit more, hmmmmm did the acupuncture help or  was my nerve recovering as it would have? I am a very positive person but didn't see the results I was hoping for.
Not to say that acupuncture doesn't or won't work I just felt it wasn't for me at this time...I may try again another day.
Let me know how it goes, maybe I gave up too soon?
Michelle  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:35:10 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

moe

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:34:09 am »
Hi Michelle,
Sorry you didn't get the results you were hoping for with the acupuncture, but at least you gave it a try ;)
I'll let you know how mine goes......
Maureen