Author Topic: Surgery over..in patient Rehab  (Read 3141 times)

SAM-AN2009

• Facebook Page
Surgery over..in patient Rehab
« on: September 28, 2009, 06:18:20 am »
Good Morning.. Surgery went well, still have some vision and balance issues. Today is day one for rehab and the staff keeps drilling the thought that it's intense 3 hr treatments daily.. lol. I'm feeling okay, Dr's and Staff are great here. This forum has provided me with a wealth of knowledge esp post op... Those ice chips sure came in handy when they wanted me to speak just hours out of the OR. My hearing in the left is very low,however the ENT Surg. stated they tested me on the "OR" table and it was intake... so with pray and once the swelling goes does, I should "hear" again... at least more than i do know. I'll write back sometime next week.. I can barley stare at this screen... LOL

Thank YOU ALL again!!

PS. My sense of smell has increase tremendous... instant headaches from the hospital cleaning solutions and family members cologne.. uggh... Valium was my bestfriend for a few days..

Sam
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:22:11 am by SAM-AN2009 »
Left Side AN - Pre-Op Sept 3rd - Surgery Sept 22nd
Dr. Selesnick/ Dr. Steig
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Surgery over..in patient Rehab
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:24:46 am »
Sam, since you are a "postie" now from this procedure, moved this thread to "Post Treatment" as your updates since the surgery are so important and want to make sure others follow along here as they do their research! :)

I'm thrilled to hear you are doing well and on the road to wellness.    Sounds like the rehab gang are on top of things and let's get you well!  Don't worry about staring at the screen... heck, I'm a blur to many anyway! ;)

Please hang in there! Great to see you posting and please keep us updated when you feel up to it! We're cheering you on!

Healing hugglez to you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:34:57 am »
Sam -

great to see you back here so soon post op  ;D

Good news about your hearing - I'll pray along with you. 

Your balance and vision should get better as time goes on; the rehab will definitely help.

All in all, it sounds like things are very positive.  Remember patience is key in recovering from AN surgery.

As Phyl said, we're all cheering you on!

Please update us when you can.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:35:42 am »
Hey, Sam!  Great to hear from you and you sound like you're doing very well!  Way to go!  I remember my sense of smell being way up also - it should get back to normal in time, though.  Will keep my fingers crossed for your hearing...

Keep us posted as you feel up to it - looking at the screen can be very tough, so just as you can,

Cindy

(hijack...Phyl, where's your picture?)
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 08:39:16 am »
Sam .....

So glad you are on a normal recovery course.  Hang in there with the Rehab.  It isn't fun but it does pay off in the end.

My prayers that your hearing improves and you continue to do well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MissMolly

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 02:04:33 pm »
Hi Sam,

Glad your surgery is over. I had increased sense of smell after surgery as well.  Every once in a while I get sensitive to certain sents, but pretty much all is back to normal in the olfactory department. 

Hope you get out of hospital soon and back home!!

MissMolly  :)
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:11:59 pm »
Hi, 'postie' Sam ~

Congratulations on a successful surgery and a slow-but-steady return to normalcy.   Good job!  Rehabiliation may be tough but it usually pays off by helping you regain your mobility.

I'm very pleased to learn that the forums helped you.  Please post again when you're able.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ernie h

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »
good luck sam.ernie h.
ernie.r side ana removed aug 07 by dr peter black and doctor quinton gopen.brigham and womens hosp boston mass.

mellowrama

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 07:58:48 pm »
Hi Sam,  Glad to hear your surgery went well!  What is it with people wearing cologne in hospitals?  That drove me nuts! ::)
Hope your hearing is good!
best wishes, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011