Author Topic: Goldie post op  (Read 3182 times)

Cheryl R

Goldie post op
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
I have read the caring bridge to see how Goldie is doing past her Thurs surgery.       She has went to a regular room today and came thru surgery well.    No mention of how she ended up with the facial nerve which was her main concern.      They will let us know in time.        They did her surgical side of face is swollen today.               
  We met at the symposium plus like to watch on how all of us mid westerners are doing!                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Goldie post op
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:05:35 pm »
Cheryl -

thanks for the udpate on Goldie. 

I don't believe I met her at the symposium - but I hope to in 2011.

If you read any more info, please share it with us.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:28:14 pm »
Even more good news,     Goldie posted herself tonight on the www.caringbridge.org              Look under denised.      She posted to check on this site pre op.              She has been up walking and said she never thought she would be on the computer the day after surgery.
I sat with her at the Sat lunch so did meet her.    Very nice gal.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:23:37 pm »
Goldie was back on the computer and she did not end up with facial paralysis!     A little eye blinking issue is all.     That was good news due to her previous radiation and possibilty of the facial nerve having the tumor really cause damage.     It was a 6 hr surgery.
   A dr called her a star patient which is always good to hear here.               Sounds she continues to do very well with a shower even today.        I am sure she will be back here soon.                                    Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
Cheryl ~

Many thanks for the fabulous news on Goldie's recovery!  As a former 'star patient'; my doctor's characterization was that I was in the top 5% of his AN patients regarding success/recovery, I can share Denise's elation.  We all look forward to seeing Goldie here as a 'postie'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Goldie

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:12:50 pm »
Thanks, Cheryl, for the posts.  I am home already and doing very well, much better than anyone expected.  They were able to save my facial nerve and took 99+% of the tumor, so there is just a tiny, tiny bit left.   I did wake up with a facial spasm this morning (as I used to before surgery), but I take that as a sign that the nerve is working, and my surgeon did say it was hypersensitive during the surgery.  I'm on steroids for three more days and am hoping things will settle down a bit.  Otherwise I'm just taking Tylenol for the pain and that seems to manage it pretty well.  My right eye isn't blinking normally, but I can close it and they think that's also a temporary issue.  Since I had translab, they did take both my hearing and balance nerves on the right. I had already lost most of my hearing on that side before and haven't noticed much of a difference, and my balance is also pretty close to what it was before. 

So all-in-all everything is excellent!  I promise to take it easy and obey orders.  Thanks for your support and good wishes!

Denise
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:54:18 am »
Denise -

while I appreciated Cheryl's updates, it's so nice to hear from you in person.

It sounds like things are going really well for you, which is incredible!  You really are a star patient!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:29:36 am »
Denise,
Wow, sounds liike like you are doing marvelous! Just tylenol for pain? You are lucky :)
Take gentle care of yourself, ya hear?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:40 am »
Welcome back, Denise. You are now a member of the exclusive toastie-postie club (radiation + surgery). It sounds like you are doing well. Have a nice gentle recovery.   :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.