Author Topic: How to begin a new exercise program??  (Read 2123 times)

hevreh

How to begin a new exercise program??
« on: October 03, 2009, 01:11:07 pm »
Since my post CK treatments of last July, I am a frequent inquirer with confirming and appreciated supoprt. The delayed symptoms as headaches, fatigue, balance issues and compromised acuity/cognition I'm told are typical and it may take six months or more to realize my former self. On the other hand, there are those of you who went back to exercise again sooner than later. I want to follow YOU but my symptoms get the better of me. For example, I awake with some energy but then fatigue dominates by mid-afternoon. Getting up from a chair or climbing stairs are difficult and an effort. Somehow my legs (quadriceps in particular) have no strength.

I want to be practical yet not let my fatigue or other symptoms be overwhelming. Is there a model for me to follow so that my physical and emotional self can recover as well? These passing weeks of unanticipated, typical post-treatment symptoms are frustrating. I want to begin a new exercise program yet don't know where to safely begin. The headaches and fatigue dominate; once I begin cardio/vascular, I'm sure to better know how much if any my balance is impacted. I am not in a position to hire a personal trainer but wonder if there is a DVD to be purchased specific to ANers and post-treatment exercise. Anyone with experience to offer suggestions? Thank you for indulging me again.

Kaybo

Re: How to begin a new exercise program??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:44:22 pm »
Hi!
I don't know of any specific exercise program for after AN surgery, but I think we can all agree on WALKING, WALKING, WALKING!!  Not only does it get you out and moving, you can get fresh air & (maybe) sunshine too!!  A lot of people do the Wii Fit - it has balance & yoga...and it is fun too!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:18:26 pm »
The most difficult steps are the 1st few. I was on a long downward spiral with a lot of the same kind of issues. I started having serious problems about 5 months post radiosurgery. It wasn't until I started exercising that I felt I was taking control. My advice... push harder than you ever thought possible. Yoga is a good place to start. Even something simple like watching TV while standing on a balance disk and using a couple of light dumbbells will be a great workout. While you have a headache limit your exercising to routines that don't put pressure on your head....makes them much worse.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:47:19 pm »
I agree with walking, walking, walking, to increase the stamina of the leg muscles.
Try adding hills, adding weight around the wrist, and before you know it you will be doing STEP aerobics!
I too get tired after exercise, still now, but that is OK. The body is telling you it needs to rest.
So rest, and then get at it again!
I have the WII fit and love it.
The balance/yoga/strengthening exercises are my favorite.
After my brain surgery, I was feeling great and did some PILATES. Well, overdid it in the legs and they were "wobbly" for weeks, so I knew I over did it.
Good luck, keep at it :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty