Author Topic: two glasses of wine and..............  (Read 4620 times)

tenai98

two glasses of wine and..............
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:07:59 pm »
nothing. no balance issues...I am now thankful that I am now about 95% back to normal....am so happy...I didnt even think about having the wine and its possible effects on my balance...I was fine....so another txgiving dinner tonight and another few glasses of wine....I think all the yoga, balance and circuit exercise has helped....definitely help me shed 18 lbs...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Keri

Re: two glasses of wine and..............
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 01:32:29 pm »
cheers!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:51:45 pm »
JO ~

Congratulations on your excellent recovery progress!  Regaining your balance function and losing weight is a terrific combination.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:38 am »
make it red... great for the cardio.  At least make the wine heart-healthy!   ;D

Salut! :)  Enjoy a sip for me.  I'm only allowed to sniff the cork for maximum effect!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

opp2

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:40:57 am »
Congratulations and Happy Thanksgiving! We're just about to put the turkey on the BBQ.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:55:25 am »
Cheers, Tena!  Isn't it great to be able to enjoy wine again - one of life's great pleasures!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 10:13:02 pm »
I had two glasses of wine tonight with dinner and enjoyed every drop.  I even had some Bailey's Irish Cream on the rocks.  Yes I am very thankful I was able to indulge this Thanksgiving  ;D  Sometimes I worry about the med's and booze combination but how often do I really drink! 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

joebloggs

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:15:35 am »
I wondered about this - I was told in Hospital to stay off the booze - that one drink would be like having 6.  So I haven't had a drop, not just since my op in March, but since 1st January.  Part of it is I'm a bit afraid I'll get paralytic on one glass of wine and another is just to see if it affects my life not having any booze.  It doesn't.  Anyway, I was wondering about other AN'ers and their booze intake post surgery and it looks like it's ok?  I'm only thinking the odd glass of wine when I'm out with friends.  My balance is pretty good now - I'm doing yoga at the rec centre nearby and walking to work, all good.  On Saturday though I was walking up some stairs at the theatre and my friend went to pass me the ticket and dropped it and I watched it fluttering down and just that completely threw my balance off, I almost fell down the stairs!  How bizarre!  Note to self, don't watch tickets falling to the floor in future!  Anyway thanks for the guidance with the drink... shall try a glass one of these days!

xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

another NY postie

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:57 am »
I, too, can't imagine drinking right now although I know I am still early post surgery (3 weeks on Wed)...I was actually told by the internist at House, Dr. Stefan, that I could have a drink in 2 weeks!  Not going to happen! lol  :o I am waiting for Halloween and then having a drink, which may or may not be a good idea, but I can always just sit in the corner if it affects me too much.  (I always have been a lightweight when it comes to alcohol so I am a wee bit afraid of even attempting it) ;D  Right now in rehab therapy I flunk the sobriety walk the straight line test on a daily basis!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:35:50 am »
Hi joebloggs. I have a motherly suggestion for you. Try your first glass of wine at home with a trusted friend in case that one does turn out like six. If all is well, then the next time you can try going out and see how that goes, also with a trusted friend.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:38:47 am »
Jo .....

Congrats on the weight loss!

As for the wine, I was afraid for months to have any for fear I would be a crumbling mess.  Finally tried a couple sips ..... nothing happened  :-\ ..... next time tried a half glass ..... nothing happened  :).  Now, when I have a regular sized glass I can feel the warmth but nothing happens to my sense of balance.  Actually I think it relaxes me so I really walk better because I am less afraid of falling.  Never could handle two glasses so I will not try that.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:01:39 am »
Like I mentioned in an "eye issues" post, I flew to New York over the weekend to attend a wedding.  I also had my first drink since before surgery going on 10 weeks now...a few glasses of wine and even one Absolute & Soda...no problems at all, that I remember,  ;)...stayed aways from the beer though, I've already gained back more weight than I lost on a feeding tube during my hospital stay.

Pretty cool about the weight loss...I imagine thats hard to do when you can't exercise fully...nice job!
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 08:52:10 am »
I don't think the wine affects me any differently now than it did before.  However, I had the opportunity to stand outside and watch big flakes of snow falling yesterday and got so dizzy I couldn't believe it!  It was actually pretty funny.  Note to self:  stay inside when it snows!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:31:25 pm »
So...it's a problem when one glass = six?.... ;)

I was actually told by my doc (not McKenna but Loeffler) that a drink or two could actually improve your balance. The idea being that alcohol makes the vestibular system less functional and for folks like me who at that time had a partially functioning vestibular nerve on the left side causing issues a less functional system could smooth things out.

I don't drink often but when I do drink its with a purpose......PARTY! Despite my size I've always been a cheap date...a couple glasses of wine gets me talking...amongst other things... ;D

On a more serious note...I haven't noticed any difference since surgery. Only one occasion that I've had more than a glass of wine and I was dancing all night so alcohol burns off without any effect....other than making me think my dancing is better than it really is.... ::)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org