Author Topic: AN a brain tumor? Inquiring minds answer  (Read 4269 times)

Mark

AN a brain tumor? Inquiring minds answer
« on: March 25, 2006, 10:58:15 am »
based on the friendly little debate on whether an AN is a brain tumor, I posed the question on the CPSG board to see if any of the doctors would respond.

Here is the answer from Dr. Spunberg

From my medical school training, we were always taught that the cranial nerves were in fact an extension of the brain, so that an acoustic neuroma would be a brain tumor, whether inside the skull or not. For example, when we look inside the eye during a fundoscopic exam to visualize the optic nerve head, to check for papilledema, we allways viewed that nerve as the one portion of the brain that you could actually see directly, without the need for a craniotomy.

Therefore, I would call an AN a brain tumor...a rose by any other name, would still be a rose.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Kudos to Kathleen Mc who suggested that the cranial nerves are an extension of the brain which is apparently right on target. Based on my error here I am concerned that the cruise will demote me from Purser to latrine duty  :-[

However, I still maintain that an AN is a wart on the hearing nerve, dang it. Yeah that's my story and I'm sticking to it  ::)

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Battyp

Re: AN a brain tumor? Inquiring minds answer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 11:50:33 am »
No Demotion mark unless you get greedy with the purse strings..then you walk the plank!

Imagine my surprise when I put in acoustic nueroma after I was diagnosed and it came up brain tumor!  I remember calling my sister in law crying and she very calmly explained it's in the brain region there go it's a brain tumor.  She's an RN with a masters in oncology medicine. 

Karla83401

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:18:41 pm »
Hey Mark,

I don't care what the doc has to say about it being a brain tumor.....I am sticking with a wart. After all a wart kind fits my image as a real witch at times. lol

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to find out the answer for us. I was do darn confused about what it really was last night.

And what is this about a cruise and how do I get a berth on it? And equally important, how is the food and drink on this ship?

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 03:56:41 pm »
AAAAAARRRRR!
Karla--it's a crew-wench ye wantin' ta be, then?  Suggest ye read the Good Morning thread for the full history o' the Princess Batty Wench if ye can stomach it!  Then decide if yer wench enuff ter handle this motley crew! 
Mark, no latrine duty fer ye or anyone--over the side it is!  As long as ye can count out the fun tickets, thas' all tha' matters!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 04:12:42 pm »
The word TUMOR is just too scary.  I prefer to refer to my ex-tumor as more of a "Brain Booger"--especially since my surgery, because once it was there and now" it'snot!" ;D
ROFLAM!!!!
(roll on floor laughing at myself)
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 04:31:32 pm »
Oh, Deb, that's even better than wart...I love it!!!  I will now officially name mine Bob the Brain Booger.  Just going to get it "flicked" out. 

Karla, if you desire to be a sea-fairin wench, then you're in.  We plan to have hunky greek gods carry us around (especially those with balance issues) and fan us and feed us grapes.

Kudos Mark, the debate is no more.  I had it early on with my mom (she has a medical background) and she insisted it was a brain tumor as well, and she was the one that gave me the argument of the brain being more than the cerebral cortex...that it's what's in the skull.  So I came out of denial and accepted that I have a brain tumor.  Well, OK, a brain booger. 

Hope the wine was good, I was too busy doing the 4 way with the wacky wenches last night, and didn't get a Bailey's made.  Oh well, there's always tonight!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 06:13:13 am »
Mark:  I have added advantages. 1. I am a R.N. (although I have worked only in the area of mental health for most of my career). 2. I have been dealing with AN for over 15 years and done much reading.
Don't even suggest you should be demoted and/or have to "walk the plank".
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

carolk

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 08:42:28 am »
Here is a quote from the National Institute of Health's web site:

"Acoustic neuromas are relatively uncommon, but they are one of the most common types of brain tumors."  (Go to www.NIH.gov, then search for acoustic neuroma.)

While the AN is not in the brain tissue itself, it is in the skull, which makes it a brain tumor.   That said, call it a wart or a booger or or a Vestibular Schwannoma or whatever you want--a tumor by any other name. . .

Carol

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 06:19:12 am »
Mark,

Great question and thanks to you and all that researched this further. I have to admit... this has been a question I've thought about at great lengths. My AN is IAC, slight pressure against the brain... I have a difficult time seeing it as a brain tumor since it does not penetrate inside. I have a chorodial cyst, mid-brain. I deem that more as a "growth" that would be deemed as brain growth, but still have a difficult time seeing my AN as a "brain" tumor... leaves me befuddled.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 08:16:55 pm »
Phyl, you are permanently befudled (whatever that means). I think its time for the men in white for you, you wacky wench. Have you always been wackyo or is it just since the unwanted intrusions into your life - not talking about CB here.

Mark, No demotion, no walking the plank - a worse fate awaits ye, but you'll have to tune into Good Morning for that one.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz