Author Topic: Post-op Newbie says HI!  (Read 6995 times)

another NY postie

Re: Post-op Newbie says HI!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 08:17:24 am »
Hi, I wanted to update my sleeping (3.5 wks post op).  For the first week home (say day 10-15), I was still waking up at 3 am and going down to couch.  We don't own a recliner but I was craving one.  I actually went on line and was considering buying one.  I was thinking a friend could take me to the store but I thought my husband would kill me if a recliner just showed up at our door! ;D  I really wanted a hospital bed I could make go up and down and put my body in the right position.  My pain was mostly in my jaw as they cut the muscle in Middle Fosa but advil or tylenol works for me.  Then I was able to sleep and sleep well in my bed.  But I use my daughter's temperpedic pillow with the neck bump.  It used to be mine for about 3 days and I HATED it at the time.  I used very, very mushy down pillows prior to surgery.  Not now, I am loving the temperpedic pillow.  I also am lucky that I sleep on my left side, so my scar is not in the pillow.  I just started flipping a bit in the morning when I wake to test out laying on the scar, and it seems ok.  I have been very lucky as my scar never scabbed at all, it is all sealed and just a bump.  I have been massaging it for about a week and it feels so much less tender.  Just one tiny area feels tender.  I also have to note that I take a tylenol PM each night as well as an Ativan which I have been taking for a long time prior to surgery.  I am an insomniac who has trouble falling asleep so that is why I take Ativan.  It helps with the falling asleep.  RIght now I am sleeping like a baby and feel very well rested in the morning.  I think it is not having the stress of my job right now!
Hope you get some good sleep soon!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 10:21:51 am »
Lauren,

I'm sorry to be coming to this thread so late.  I hope you're sleeping better, but if not, you should mention it to Dr. Choe.  He was also my neurotologist and I know he would want to help.  If you are still having problems sleeping, perhaps he can make a suggestion and/or prescribe something to help you sleep better.  I also wanted to say that I  look forward to meeting you at the brunch on Saturday.

Cheryl ,

I'm glad to hear that you are sleeping better too.  I'm looking forward to meeting you Saturday too.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ombrerose4

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:36 pm »
Hi everyone!  I wanted to let you know that I have been sleeping much better the last week. My vestibular therapist showed me how to positin my pillows to give me more support. I also (hope I'm not jinxing myself) have been having less frequent headaches. I am seeing Dr Choe, my neurotologist on Thursday and I have a list of questions for him. I have noticed that if I push myself alittle too much, the next day is not a good day. So I am trying to manage my schedule better. Can't wait to see many of you on Saturday. May be a few minutes late because I am coming directly from my rehab.  This forum reminds me time and time again that we are very lucky to have each other to share our good and bad stuff .
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 07:43:07 am »
Lauren,

I'm glad to hear that you are sleeping better -- you obviously have a a very caring and knowledgable PT.  If you remember, please give my regards to Dr. Choe when you see him.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!