Author Topic: Baha surgery tomorrow! Question...  (Read 2048 times)

mellowrama

Baha surgery tomorrow! Question...
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:11:55 pm »
Hello all,
I should be more excited, but after having translab, then the flu, then multiple sinus infections I'm not anxious to go in under the "knife" again tomorrow.   I am very thankful that BCBS is covering the cost!

The many stories I've read here about how great the BAHA has been for so many people keeps me looking forward to days of hearing better!

Question - silly me didn't ask and I've traveled out of state for abutment surgery.  Will I have to come back soon for removal of the stitches?
thanks, melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Baha surgery tomorrow! Question...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:37:22 pm »
I had my BAHA surgery in March 2008 and don't recall ever having stitches removed - I think they dissolved.

I had to return to the doctor's office 1 week post op so my doc could remove the white plastic "cap" and bandage that he had put on my abutment after the surgery.  He also checked the site at the 1 week appointment to make sure it was healing okay.  I think after that I had a 30 day appointment then the 90 day appointment where I got my processor.

All docs are different though and have different "rules"; so your best bet is to check with the doctor or his office staff to see what "rules" he follows.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

Re: Baha surgery tomorrow! Question...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:46:01 pm »
Melinda,

Like Jan, I didn't have any stitches with my BAHA surgery. The cap and remaining small bandage were removed about a week later, the day before I flew back home (my abutment was implanted at the same time as my AN surgery), and that was the end of any medical intervention until I took my sound processor to my local audiologist a few months later for "installation."

I hope things go well for you and that you'll enjoy your BAHA!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ