Author Topic: dry mouth and lips  (Read 7729 times)

Karen

dry mouth and lips
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:24:09 pm »
Do any of you have trouble with your lips being dry and cracked all the time?  I am doing facial exercises and my lips are contanstly dry and  c racked from all the pulling and tugging.  Nothing seems to help.  Also my mouth is always dry.  Any ideas? Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

matti

Re: dry mouth and lips
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:19:14 pm »
My lips are very dry, as well as the AN side of my mouth. I find that I have to use a lot of chapstick/lip balm. I chew sugarless gum and hard candies to help stimulate saliva production. When I wake up in the morning my mouth is incredibly dry.

Also have to be careful because dry mouth is more suseptible to tooth decay. I see my dentist 3 times per year instead of 2.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:31:07 pm »
Karen,

For dry cracked lips. the best thing for me seems to be a slick of vaseline (works like a lip gloss over lipstick really) and works great overnight. So, same for guys  but minus the lipstick i guess lol (guys have this problem too? dry cracked lips? am wondering)....

Also, drink lots of water, and keep a bottle with you at all times for the dry mouth...

best wishes,
Windsong

thecakes

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 07:27:22 am »
  I live with my chapstick.  I wake up from bed also with a very dry mouth.  I never get use to this.  Its 24/7.  I chew alot of gum., and go to to my dentest every 6 months.

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:19:24 am »
My chapstick is my best friend! I panic if I don't have it.  I must have 6 or 7 scattered throughout my house.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

SKT

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 08:48:07 am »
I found that dry mouth and lips was more of a problem post op too.  Does anyone know what causes it ?

sunshine16

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:58:53 am »
Dear Karen,

Vaseline Lip Therapy (white tube)  is really the best.   I tried lip Balms, Chapsticks they only made my lips worst.  My husband uses Vaseline now, too.  And within a day his lips are back to normal.  For dry mouth, I haven't really experience it, I just keep on drinking water and keep eating.....LoL

best wishes and take care
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:10:38 pm by sunshine16 »

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:48:36 pm »
Believe it or not in shear desperation I used Crisco lard for my dry lips.  They were cracking so bad and I couldn't find any chapstick and the vaseline was in the garage and I couldn't get to it.  The crisco worked great.  I'd put it on at bedtime and usually by in the morning my lips were healed. 

Wonder if I drink the vegtable oil if it would fix the dry mouth?   ;D

thecakes

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 10:43:46 am »
   Hey guys, I not onely have the dry lips and mouth, but I notice more lines around my lips.  This looks terrible.  Or is it the age thing?  Have any of you notice this too?

californiagirl

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 11:29:13 am »
I am 4 weeks post op today and I have found that Burts Bees lip balm works great some days my lips are more dry than others. That may depend on the moisture in the air too.  I also drink 64 oz. or more of water each day. Hope that helps.
AN (L) 1 cm
surgery date 3/13/06
Dr. Shajjadi/ Dr. Rosario
San Jose, CA

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 11:34:51 am »
Burts Bees does work good..

cali girl how are you doing?  You're only a few weeks post op are you doing ok?

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 12:07:07 pm »

Yep, I keep a chapstick at work and home ... I dont use in that much, but if I dont .. it actually gets kinda bloody! ..
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

californiagirl

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 12:17:25 pm »
BP,

Thanks for asking. I think I am doing pretty well. I was in the hospital for only 6 days, ICU only 2. My surgery was a bit longer than expected..10 hours. However, the tumor was on the balance nerve and also the facial nerve. The doctors had to leave a small sliver on the facial nerve to preseve it. So, down the road at some point I will look into some other form of therapy.

I have no facial paralysis, no numbness and am walking pretty well. My AN side eye is fine too. I have had a couple of days with nausea and extreme headaches, but for the most part I cannot complain. I have gone out to eat and even a little shopping with my husband.

Thanks,
Lori
AN (L) 1 cm
surgery date 3/13/06
Dr. Shajjadi/ Dr. Rosario
San Jose, CA

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 03:09:23 pm »
Lori that is such wonderful great news!

What kind of additional therapy are you going to need? 
Yeah to the no facial paralysis or numbness.  The numbness is what weighs me down!
Sounds like you are on the fast track road to recovery!  such an inspiration to those in pre treat mode!

Karen

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:29:53 pm »
This is to battyprincess, I also have the facial numbness and in some ways that bothers me more than the paralysis.  IOt's not just no feeling it feels like I have been to the dentist and my face is full of novacane.. How about you?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear