Author Topic: One year anniversary of my diagnosis  (Read 2404 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
One year anniversary of my diagnosis
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:14:37 am »
Hi All!

Today marks the beginning of my "official" journey.  Although I had been on the path for 6-7 years prior to knowing what was wrong with me, it was on 11/14/08 that I knew exactly what it was.    I will  never forget being alone in the neurologist's office waiting for him to come, knowing that the MRI would show nothing and confirm what he suspected - a viral ear infection.  He came in rather solemn, said "I've got good news and bad news.  The bad news - you have a brain tumor; the good news, it's benign.  But it is large, so who is your neurosurgeon?"  The world changed forever for me that day.  And although I didn't know it at the time, the person I've become these 12 months later, is a much better person than the old me.

I don't know what I would have done without my family and friends - the friend who thankfully was on the other end of the phone line when I called her from the dr's office, my "kids" (well, they were 19 & 23 then!) who came home when they could tell by my voice something was wrong, my husband who was so calm and said "well, let's get this taken care of", my professional friends who never went a day without giving me a smile or a laugh, my band friends who said "Hurry up - the clarinet section needs you back here soon and we'll be waiting on you!", and so many of you, who I have never met, but helped me in ways no one else could (my daughter found you before I even joined and had a gang of forumites waiting to greet me when I posted for the first time).

Through your words of advice, my research and that of my daughter, I found my surgeons - knew from the moment we met that this was the team for me (even though I had 2 more consultations with others), and a very successful surgery.  Infection got me down a few times and required 2 more surgeries, but I think I'm all done with that now. 

In addition to SSD, balance issues, and a nice size area (about the size of a mini twix bar!) on the back of my head that refuses to grow hair and is bazooka bubblegum pink most of the time, I find that I am much more compassionate, patient, a bit sappy, and am very appreciative of what I have.  I have celebrated my 49th birthday on Halloween, joined a gym, have a personal trainer, and have never been stronger.

Today, I am going to my first AN support group meeting with the folks in Cincinnati (I have attended one in Columbus, and will continue to participate in both as much as possible).  My neurosurgeon, Dr. Tew, will be there, as will his clinical nurse, Nancy and I can't wait to see them.  I will also meet Jill, who I met through this forum and she had her surgery with the same team as me, exactly one week prior to mine.  What a perfect way to celebrate this occasion.

I have one more health issue looming, but I'm really hoping for a positive result to the ultrasound on the 24th - another cyst and rather dramatic change in a breast - but I've had things like this before and it has always turned out to be related to fibrocystic breast issues.  And, if it is not, I'll deal with whatever comes, the very best way I can!

Sorry to be wordy and if anyone reads this far down the long long post, I'll be amazed.  But I just had to commemorate this with a bit of a sentimental journey, knowing that I have many more milestones ahead of me that will be celebrated as well.  The holidays weren't too great for me last year, and I am looking forward to enjoying the season this year!!!  Again, much love to all of you, and thanks for being such an important part of my life.

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: One year anniversary of my diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:24:31 am »
Kathy

You have come a LONG way and congrats to you on your ANniversary. Please tell Dr. Tew that Phyllis from the ANA forums that he met at the symposium in Chicago sends my very best regards to him (hope to see him in Cinci at the next ANA Symposium) and hoping the support group meeting is good today.

In light of other issues going on, I send wellness wishes to you.....  And yes, you will deal with whatever comes your way... cuz you have us cheering you on!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:47 am »
Kathy .....

I did read all the way to the end of your post .....  :-*  What an inspiring story and so helpful to others reading/lurking on this site!  You truly went to the bottom and back up higher than before ..... congratulations.

Thoughts and prayers that the breast issue turns out to be the pesky fibrocystic business (been there on that one too!).

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

texsooner

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:17:13 am »
Kathy, you have indeed been through a lot, but have come through it all stronger. Way to go.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 11:33:23 am »
Kathy -

as we like to say, there is life after an AN and despite all you've been through you are definitely proof of this.

I hope you'll be at the next ANA Symposium in Cincinnati because I (and many others) would love to meet you in person  ;D

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:32:10 pm »
Kathy ~

You call that a 'wordy' post?  Compared to me, you're an amateur at verbosity - but I think that's a good thing!  :)

Congratulations on, not only your one-year AN 'anniversary', but your very realistic approach to everything you've been through, which, as you noted, has made you a better, stronger person who really appreciates her life and her blessings.  Your commentary was refreshing to the point of inspirational and I thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us.  Please don't stop posting, Kathy.  Your input is valued and appreciated.  :)

Jim 

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:32:09 pm »
I find that I am much more compassionate, patient, a bit sappy, and am very appreciative of what I have. 

That sounds about right for a typical forumite. I'm glad you're one of us. :)

I am also glad you made it through that sequence of icky head things, and that you have Dr. Tew as your doctor, he was great at the symposium.

Here's to a great second year.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keri

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:20:07 am »
Hi Kathy,
I found out about my AN about a year ago as well! Yes, life sure did change - and a lot of good along with the pain.
Thank you for sharing.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:53:04 pm »
Hi Kathy.

I'm wishing you a happy ANniversary a little late.  I too read your whole post.  ANs have  a way of changing us forever, but mostly for the better.  You've had your ups and downs but your positive attitude and spirit, along with the support of family and friends helped see you through.  You are one tough cookie and I'm very glad to hear you are doing so well.  Keep on keepin' on!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!