Author Topic: swallowing problem after vestibular schwannoma resection  (Read 4395 times)

morena_azra

swallowing problem after vestibular schwannoma resection
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:08:32 am »
Hi everyone

Does anybody know if there is a forum for this specific issue? i.e. serious swallowing problems (speech problems also) following a posterior fossa vestibural schwanoma resection? My brother had a 4cm x4cm x 4cm tumor removed from the back of his scull 2 weeks ago and still has not managed to regain his swalloiwng function properly, he has already lost 12 kg and it does not show any sign of getting better. There are no Speech Pathologists where he is at (Eastern Europe), but I'd just like to hear from people who have experienced this particular problem following their tumor removal/resection surgery. I understand it has to do with the damage/injury/pressure put on the vagus nerve but I am really interested in finding out how to work on making it better.

thanks
My brother'a AN was 3.9cm at diagnosis Sept 09; 3.5cm after a suboccipital retrosigmond, done in Tuzla, Bosnia in Oct 09; second surgery performed at INI Hannover Feb 2010, tumor classed as T4b (the largest: 5cm plus). All tumor was taken out by Dr Samii Sr, facial nerve preserved (mild paresis),SSD

suboo73

Re: swallowing problem after vestibular schwannoma resection
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:42:40 am »
Hi Morena and welcome to this Forum!

I am so sorry to hear about the problems your brother is having with swallowing...there are many people here on the Forum and I am sure others will respond to your questions as soon as they see them.  [It is still early here in the U.S.)

Have you tried to use the search function on the Forum?  Go to the main page, and type in some key words in the upper left-corner.  I tried the word 'swallowing' and can see various discussions you can read about this problem.

I have not had surgery, so I do not have any specific answers for you.
In the meantime, I am sending all my thoughts and prayers to you, your brother, and your extended family.
And I pray you will find some answers very soon.
Please keep us posted on your brother's progress.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

morena_azra

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:02:03 am »
Sue, thanks a lot for your advice, I will indeed do that. Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs
My brother'a AN was 3.9cm at diagnosis Sept 09; 3.5cm after a suboccipital retrosigmond, done in Tuzla, Bosnia in Oct 09; second surgery performed at INI Hannover Feb 2010, tumor classed as T4b (the largest: 5cm plus). All tumor was taken out by Dr Samii Sr, facial nerve preserved (mild paresis),SSD

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 08:03:03 am »
Morena,

Swallowing issues are very common in post-op AN patients.  I was unable to swallow well enough to eat solid food for the first ten days after surgery to remove my AN.  I spent that entire time on a feeding tube in Hospital.  Almost four months later, my swallowing is better but still not 100%.  I was taught to turn my head opposite of the direction I felt the swallowing block or difficulty appeared to be on.  For me, turning my head to the left while swallowing, makes it easier.  They started me out with very soft foods like Apple Sauce, Mashed Potatoes and Scrambled Eggs.

There isn't a lot more I can tell you about the condition accept in most of us, it corrects itself over time...like I said, I still have to be careful nearly four months after surgery and still choke from time to time, especially during lively dinner conversation with my boys...I get all excited just to be able to sit and laugh with them, I forget to "work" on the swallowing.  Yup, I still have to think about an act you usually would take for granted.

My best wishes on your brothers speedy recovery...you're a good sister for checking up on these things for him.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:32:37 am by DoctorB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

morena_azra

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 08:19:27 am »
Thanks Doc, every bit of information I get from people who had gone through similar experience/are going through it now, is prescious to me as I can relay it onto my brother as I am sure he is very scared and feels alone in this, even though he does not show it. He is still in hospital and I dont know when he will be well enough to leave but as soon as he does, I'll make sure he joins this forum, it seems to be a Heaven's gift for people caught in these circumstances.

thanks again for your reply

Happy Thanksgiving.

Azra