Author Topic: SILLY QUESTION  (Read 4027 times)

jazzfunkanne

SILLY QUESTION
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:50 pm »
I had my 4.5cm AN removed 3 years ago, what i was wondering WAS ,what happens to the space once the AN is out, is there a empty hole in the head , there is a saying in the uk "i need that like i need a hole in the head" i have used the "saying" a few times in the past it really has came back to haunt me LOL
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: SILLY QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:32:16 pm »
Anne ~

Rule #1 on the ANA forums: There are no silly questions.  

The AN is an unnatural growth of the nerve sheath and once it has been removed (via surgery) the area returns to what is normal (no growth).  There is no 'hole in your head', other than the piece of skull that is removed for the surgery but that is either replaced or substituted with body fat and/or titanium mesh secured with tiny screws.  

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:04:17 pm »
thanks for that jim

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:39:39 pm »
When you go for any follow up MRI's you should ask you doctor if he can show them to you.

Then you can see for yourself (Only if you'd be interested).

I know my doctors have always showed me my MRI's, and you can see what's going on in there

Just a thought  :)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 08:29:46 am »
i will do that denise, thanksx

tenai98

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:13:05 am »
I can clearly see the fat in my head on my MRI...And the difference in shape of my tumor...gone from being a button mushroom to a football shape...ok , i know our soccer is called football in UK, but what is our football called in UK?
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 11:46:55 am »
Hi jazz -  good to see you again.

The hole in my head is filled with belly fat and titanium mesh - neither of which shows up on my annual MRI.  I don't believe that titanium ever shows up (but I could be wrong) and my neurotologist always orders my MRI with fat suppression. 

Truth be told, when I viewed the CD from my first post op MRI, I was a little disappointed.  I thought it would have been cool to see what was inside of my head  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 12:56:10 pm »
i know our soccer is called football in UK, but what is our football called in UK?
JO
/beginhijack
I believe it is called "American football" across the pond.
/endhijack
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:43:27 pm »
i know our soccer is called football in UK, but what is our football called in UK?
JO
/beginhijack
I believe it is called "American football" across the pond.
/endhijack

I think she means what do they call the ball itself?

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:31:13 am »
Tenia, i didnt understand the last question
"I know our soccer is called football in UK, but what is our football called in UK?
???????????????????
I AM SLOW ON THE UPTAKE LOL

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 12:57:30 pm »
Tenia, i didnt understand the last question
"I know our soccer is called football in UK, but what is our football called in UK?
???????????????????
I AM SLOW ON THE UPTAKE LOL

US/CAN Soccer in the UK is "Football" (or Footie as my bloke calls it). American Football played in the UK (as noted recently when the Pats played there) is called "ridiculous! who cares? there's more fun in Rugby" ;)   ;D   (Also referred to as American football).

Annie, to try to answer your question.... what becomes of the space taken up previously occupied by an AN...... hopefully nothing! :) Continued wellness wishes your way and may there continue to be "nothin' up there" (ie: no AN!)

Be well!
Phyl
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 12:59:07 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"