Author Topic: Day of surgery  (Read 4961 times)

californiagirl

Day of surgery
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:12:43 pm »
Hi,

I am new to this site today. I was diagnosed with my AN of about 1 cm in Dec 05. My husband and I set the date for surgery for March 13, 2006. I am curious what to expect day of surgery. I am in the Bay area of CA and will have the surgery at Good Sam Hospital in San Jose with Drs Hamed Shajjadi and Marshall Rosario. If anyone can give me more input as to what to expect that morning (we arrive at 5:30am and surgery begins at 7:30). I have never been in the hospital nor had any type of surgery. Will they sedate me prior to going into the OR? I would appreciate any feedback, I am a little anxious and nervous.

Thanks so much!
AN (L) 1 cm
surgery date 3/13/06
Dr. Shajjadi/ Dr. Rosario
San Jose, CA

Battyp

Re: Day of surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:26:33 pm »
The day of of surgery I got a shot to relax me before taking me to the or...I remember being in the or for all of about 2 mins.  I also was given xanax prior to surgery to help calm my nerves.  The closer surgery came the more anxious and panicky I got as I tried to do so much before surgery.  I think I collapsed from exhaustion!  I remember not sleeping the night before and my parents threatening to kill me if I didn't go to bed as we were all sharing a hotel room.  Honestly I don't know what their problems were they had all day to snooze the next day lol. 

I'm sure your docs will walk you through what to expect.  There was a post from Kate (I think) that talked about what to expect and have on hand for after have you read that?

Keep us posted!  I wish you the best!  I'll say some extra prayers for you.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 03:46:13 pm »
Californiagirl,
   There may be some pre-op blood tests, and other tests, depending on your general health.  You'll get an IV line.  Once they roll you toward the operating suites, things will probably go very quickly.  Depending on the number of operating suites your hospital has, you may be wheeled past lots of operating room staff, and doors leading off the operating suites.  Several people will be quizing you to make sure you're not taking jewery, removable dental work, underwear, etc., into the operating theater.  If you have already talked to the anesthesiologist, he or she will be asking lots of questions.  You may be in a room next to the operating theater with the anesthesiology crew until you're under.  My anesthesiologist kept me occupied answering non-medical questions-- and that's the last thing I remember until starting to come around and being told it was 3:30 in the afternoon.
  Try not to get too worried.  I know waiting can be the roughest part.  Sending good thoughts your way.
Regards,
 Rob   
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

matti

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:40:23 pm »
Welcome to the AN forum, you will find a wealth of information, as well as inspiration and support here.  My son lives in San Jose, finishing up at San Jose State this year. I have heard Good Samaritan is a wonderul hospital. My son had to rush his girlfriend there last month with kidney stones and they kept talking about how great they were treated from the moment they arrived until they left.

I live in San Ramon and  I had my surgery at Stanford.

The day of surgery was kind of a blur for me, my surgery was also at 7:30. The best time, first surgery of the day and no waiting. I changed into my gown and was  given very tight spandex type compression stockings.  I was in pre-op for just a about twenty minutes, and was given a quick check up by my anesthesiologist. I also asked if a woman  would be shaving my head (just a small portion) because we know women understand  hair issues LOL!  The anesthesiologist gave me an injection and told me that in a few minutes I would feel like I had a glass or two of wine. Geez, it was more like a bottle, because I don't remember anything after that. I do not remember being wheeled into the operating room. I vaguely remember waking up in ICU later that day, very thirsty. You can't drink water or ice chips, but do ask for the sponge pops. It is a small sponge on a stick that can be lightly dipped in water and sucked on, your hubby may have to help you out.. Your whole head will most likely be wrapped with a very tight bandage. You really won't remember much that first day or so and that's OK.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

take care,
matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Mark

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:37:25 pm »
California Girl,

I also live in the bay area , right next door to matti in Danville. I was also treated at Stanford but with radiosurgery so I can't give you much insight into the surgical process as others can.

It's probably a little late in the game to ask this question, but I think everyone who has opted for surgery here will confirm that using a surgeon with tons of specific AN surgery is imperative. I'm not familiar with Rossario / Shajjadi at Good samaritan but I assume you asked how many AN surgeries they have done and what kind of outcomes they have had. I think part of getting to piece of mind with surgery is knowing the procedure is being done by someone who has done a lot. Most people would probably concur that for AN's that means hundreds. The two best reputations for experience in AN surgery in the Bay Area that I know of are Roberson ( who I think Matti used) and jackler, both out of Stanford. These two guys at good samaritan may be very good as well, just not names I've seen others reference. I don't mean to throw any wrinkles into your thinking, but I do think the comfort level the day of surgery goes up when you have the utmost confidence in your surgeon's capabilities and experience with this specific procedure.

Best wishes for a wonderful outcome

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 07:18:58 pm »
Oh yeah I forgot about those glorious little sponge pops...they make your mouth feel better.  Espeically after you wake up with that nasty morning breath taste..I did the stocking things too...I remember my mom laughing at me while I was trying to put them on as I kept losing my balance..funny they put the up to thigh ones on before surgery and I woke up with short ones on..now how'd they do that?  lol

Tell your hubby to bring a sweater as after surgery I was so hot and froze everyone out of my room

matti

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:56 pm »
Battyprincess - you're making me laugh, bringing back memories. One of the nurses complained to me that my hospital room was like a "damn meat locker".  I was very comfortable.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 10:44:26 pm »
I remember constantly saying...I'm so hooooootttt just like paris hilton thinks she is...Why I thought of that I'll never know as I dont' really care of paris nor do I think she's all that  lol.  If they shut my hospital room door I'd scream in frustration until someone came along and opended it as i felt that was why I was so hot..little did I know it was just me.  My poor mom would sit wrapped in a blanket with her teeth chattering  ::)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:28:55 pm by battyprincess »

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 11:03:19 pm »
In the hospital I recall...Just after they put me in the bed in my regular room, the nurse came in for pain med.  When she pushed in the steroid, I started shouting out my alphabet letters in a silly order,  Then I dropped off to sleep and mouthed my alphabet the whole time.  My husband told me later he thought he'd lost me to the other side.  The Other Side, that made me laugh!

Every nurse had a function and a title.  One called herself "the Butt Nurse!" :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:53:23 pm by Boppie »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 01:06:25 pm »
Hi Cali-girl and welcome!

What everyone notes here is on the money. I remember my very first surgery was a spinal fusion. Like you, it was my first surgery.  Gawd, I questioned, etc.   What everyone here has shared, I hope, will help bring some peace in your heart and as you can see, we are all here, lived to tell the story (and yes, even the Nurse Butt jokes!). 

Just a suggestion:  I hear that reiki, performed just prior to any surgical procedure will help as well.  I'm not sure if you are familiar with it, but I know nurses in the State of MA have it as part of their licensing. I have reiki done all the time. While there, ask if any of the nurses are practicioners and see if someone will perform this over you. It's a great way to take in "healing energy" to help keep your nerves calm, to help alleviate the stress levels.  Just a thought.

Anyway, we'll all be cheering you on and know we are ALL here for you!  Please have someone keep us posted on how you are doing and know that you will carry us all with you during this time.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

FlyersFan68

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 03:44:52 pm »
You'll be asleep most of the day. That was the shortest day I can remember. I can't believe surgery will be 2 years ago next month for me. It was my first major surgery too. Best Wishes & Keep Us Posted!

lmurray69

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 06:01:59 pm »
  You all are sure funny. I sure hope I feel as good as you sound after I find my surgeon.. Keep up the good work we all need a laugh now and then... ;D
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 08:30:00 pm »
California girl...by now you are post surgery and I'm hoping you had a great outcome.  When you feel up to it give us a post and let us know how you did.  Been thinking about you!

Michelle

californiagirl

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 01:29:35 pm »
Hey there.

Thanks so much to all you for your posts. What a extremely encouraging blessing you have been. I had a quick time in the hospital, only 5 nights. So, I guess that's a great sign that all went well. I had the most caring of nurses in ICU.

I did get a little ill after surgery with all the anasthesia....I remember apologizing to the nurse after I threw up....she said, "its all right honey". Anywho, I learned  so much about trust! Gosh, I did not realize how much I needed to just relax and trust that these people do knw what they are doing. My doctors were both in to see me daily and apart from one nurse, I had the best care that I have ever seen. I would recommend Dr. Hamed Sajjadi and Dr. Marshall Rosario to anyone who needs a AN surgery in the San Jose Bay area. Dr. Sajjadi is connected to Stanford and does also do some surgery there as well.

I was able to walk around the hospital without assistance on the 5th day. I was also reading too. Watching tv has been more difficult though, but I really can read for long periods without any struggle.

I am trying to take it slow due to fears about CSF leaks, but for the most part I am determined to get back up and running. My husband and I will be celebrating on one year anniversary on April 22nd and I want to be as close to healthy as possible.

Thanks and keep encouraging others....it really helps!

AN (L) 1 cm
surgery date 3/13/06
Dr. Shajjadi/ Dr. Rosario
San Jose, CA

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 03:05:43 pm »
Wow such a great outcome!  Gives those in pretreatment mode hope and a goal to strive for! 

Happy almost anniversary!!  May you have many many more!