Author Topic: D-Day tomorrow  (Read 3219 times)

shabuck

D-Day tomorrow
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:42 am »
Well the time has come, I have cleaned the house again!!, done the shopping and had lunch or dinner with family and friends..I thank them all for their support and positive thinking which is helping me cope with this.... tomorrow is pre op tests and then surgery on Thursday... I feel strangely calm about the operation not really something I can put into words but I'm guessing there are a lot of people on here who know exactly what I mean.
Just like to say thanks to all of you, reading your posts and learning by your experience has helped no end.
Sharon xx
2cm left side.. surgery booked for 3rd dec 09. St Georges London - Professor Bell.

another NY postie

Re: D-Day tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:33:01 pm »
Sharon, I do know exactly what you mean!  I will be post op 10 weeks on Wed so it is still very fresh in my mind and I, too, was eerily calm.  I think all the lead-up research, mind wrestling, dr appts was so stressful and exhausting...then the treatment comes, and it is like, let's get on with this so I can start getting my life back.  Know that you will have a lot of prayers and positive energy coming your way - this group is amazing - I am wishing you well and a speedy, uneventful recovery. 
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:45:44 pm »
Sharon,

I'm glad you've reached this place.  I am 16 months post-op and can still remember the feeling of calm that came over me the last few days prior to my surgery.  Everything was done, I'd had my pre-testing, the house was sparkling clean, the fridge and pantry stocked, my kids were staying with friends the night before my surgery and I too had done the lunch, dinner thing with friends and family for almost an entire week.  All my ducks were in a row, I was confident as I could be and had faith in my docs.  My family and friends were amazed that I was not at all frazzled or afraid or even anxious.  I hope this feeling stays with you as it did me.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep the faith,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:47:32 pm »
God's Speed Sharon...wishing you the best!

Peace
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

cin605

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:23:53 pm »
I remeber the same sceanrio....17 months ago.....seems like forever now...2 months before being diagnosed i was zip lining over the jungle in Mexico,,,exploring the Mayan Ruins......cliff hanging...scuba diving......seems i do not recall the ringing really driving me crazy till my return from the vaca.....2 weeks after being back couldn't take any more ringing....MRI...ENT...neaurosurgeon surgery 1 month later...I cleaned,took care of finances....sitter for son....then a wierd calm.last thing i remeber before surgery was the Doc saying Get Comfortable....I'll be back in an hour..it was 6:30 am...woke back up at 6:00 Pm.......first question?Can i walk out of here?Like NOW?????Second ?.....Is it ALL gone?????
Best of Luck w/ a speedy recoup...n .....smooth "Ride" in n out! ;)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:06:20 pm »
Sharon .....

Somehow I missed your posts when we were gone over the U.S. Thanksgiving Holiday.  Want to add my belated welcome to this AN Family ..... as well as to tell you you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you have your surgery on Thursday.

Be sure to let us know how everything goes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:33:55 pm »
Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow and a speedy recovery!  Do you have someone updating us here?  I had that same calm before my surgery, I'm so glad you have it too.  Looking forward to hearing from you as a postie.   ;D
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:58:53 pm »
Sharon,
When you wake up after surgery you will then be in Postie Land.  Since it is cold even here in Southwest Texas I will don my pirate socks and keep you in good thoughts and many prayers for a very successful surgery.  (You'll have to do a search on the pirate socks thing!!)  It will keep you busy since you have all of your other ducks in a row.

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:29:50 pm »
Best of luck, Sharon.

I also had a strange sense of calm the day of my surgery - my mother was the one who was freaked out; my dad too, but he wouldn't admit it.  I was confident in my treatment choice and in my doctors and I figured I'd just take things from there.  Worrying isn't productive and most of the time we worry about things that never actually happen.

Will you be having a scribe - someone to tell us how you are doing - until you feel up to posting yourself?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »
Take care.  I echo Cheryl's comments exactly.

Thinking of you.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Tamster

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:33:59 am »
Hi Sharon,
Just want you to know we're thinking of you today. May you feel our love and concern from afar.

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:57:37 am »
Sharon,

I completely understand.  My surgery is on the 14th, and I am not too worried about it.  I think I did a lot of research and I am at peace with the fact that I have made the only decision I could make for myself in my situation.  No sense worrying about things we cannot change, now is there?   :)

I wish you the best of luck with your pre-op, and then, of course, with your surgery.  I will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way all day. 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.