Author Topic: tongue  (Read 3630 times)

ombrerose4

tongue
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:53:40 am »
As I began my 9th week post-op a new symptom has arisen. It's strange because it's almost exactly like the only symptom I had before being diagnosed. I get this strange feeling on my left (AN) side of tongue- feels like a bitter kind of salty sensation, maybe slight numbness. I don't wake up with it, it seems to develop during the day with evenings being worse as usual. Last night I started feeling apprehensive and anxios about it, even though my tumor was removed intact. It just feels like deja vu! I know that I am healing inside  and all my nerves are reacting in different ways, but I just wish it would all go away.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: tongue
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 12:08:34 pm »
I still have that symptom which for me developed post-op.  Be patient.  I know, it's not easy.  I am having trouble being patient with my remaining symptoms, too.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

OTO

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:46 pm »
I'm 30 months post-op and my taste is still affected.  I have a salty spot that comes and goes...   this evolved from a metallic taste to a burnt feeling to a sore spot to a salty taste to ????   It is slowly fading but its still there...

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:18 am »
Lauren,

I had this to some extent too, but it never really worried me since many other people had this symptom too and it just seemed to be part of the healing process..  If you are worried call Dr. Choe, I'm sure he will put your mind at rest.  He is great about this kind of thing.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »
Me too. My tongue was numb pre op, that's why I kept biting it--but the metallic taste developed post op. It subsided with time, but didn't go away completely. Oh well, helps me with my dieting:-)
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »
Hello Lauren,

Your story (and the responses) brings lots of things back!  Wow.  I've forgotten about that salty taste thing.  Pre and post surgery I used to bite the inside of my mouth so often it was driving me crazy.  Haven't done that in a long time (fingers crossed).  The most persistent feeling I've had post op has been the feeling of electric shocks on the right side of my tongue (same side as the tumor).  Like licking a 9 volt battery!  Even that is fading over time.

Time heals all (I hope).

Cheers!
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE