Author Topic: One year and still in a big mess  (Read 4001 times)

Roger64

One year and still in a big mess
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:19:11 pm »
Well it been one year from surgery and I am still having problem with memory and with my SSD and the ringing I still have in the left side I find it so distracting. Now my work is complaining and saying it need to improve. But, what can I do? I feel that this is somewhat out of my control.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: One year and still in a big mess
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:17 am »
 ??? Sorry I don't have any good advice for you since I'm not as far along as you are but I hope things work out for you!!
I'm sure someone knowledgeable will pipe in soon.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:07:01 am »
Hi, I can somewhat sympathize with you it has been 4 1/2 months from my surgery and I just thought I would be further into healing then I am now some people I hear is doing great after a few months and then there are others not so good. Sometimes I get depressed wondering if it is just all in my head (no pun intended) or is this really taking that long.  But people tell me this was a complex major surgery and all the nerves are affected and will take time, that is all I have is time now I tried to go back to work and I could not handle it so I am back home. Somehow I feel like I failed so maybe a little depression is setting in here..I guess we just have to be patient and strong. What was the size of your AN and did the surgeons put in a Titanium plate, I know I am having alot of pain around mine. Please try to hang in there and maybe others can help you there are so many informative people on this site.
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:36:28 am »
Roger .....

It is troubling to me that you are feeling this way ..... but I am so glad you felt comfortable enough to vent to us here on the Forum.  First of all, you have every right to find these things distracting and feel so out of control.

As you know, the SSD cannot be changed.  However, I noticed on previous posts you had some questions about a BAHA ..... have you explored any other options for a Transear or other such type device?

As for the tinnitus (ringing), there are new treatments being explored to retrain the brain.  Do you have any of  the booklets from the ANA?  Also, there were several sessions at the Symposium in Chicago this summer on tinnitus and tapes are available on the home page of the ANA site.  I know my tinnitus is much worse if I am in a noisy environment, or when everything is totally quiet (I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it is.).  Most of the time I can successfully tune it out by refocusing on something else, but sometimes I just want to scream "Enough, already!"  Fatigue plays a big part in it, as well.

I do not know what type of work you do, but is there any chance for a lateral transfer within the jobs available at work?

In previous posts you were having significant headache issues, hopefully they have resolved ..... at least somewhat.  If not, and that is a big contributing factor to your work production, I hope you will continue to seek relief.  A while back several people were posting on headache relief with acupuncture, more recently with Botox injections.  A good pain clinic can be very helpful in this regard.  Have you seen your family physician or AN physician recently?  Perhaps something else is going on that needs to be addressed.  I would urge you to contact a medical professional to help you with this out of control feeling.  At the same time, if you have a spiritual advisor or a close non-objective friend in whom you can confide, it really helps to share this load you are feeling.  Check the ANA web site for the closest ANA Support Group to where you live and find out when they are meeting and go.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:14:17 am »
Roger -

it's been a while since we've heard from you.

I'm sorry things aren't going well for you  :(

Have you checked into a BAHA for your SSD?  I find that mine works tremendously in a workplace (as well as a home) setting.

If you haven't tried the demo yet, I encourage you to do so.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:32:14 pm »
Roger ~

Like everyone else, I'm sorry to learn of your struggle to completely recover.  However, the good news is that in all likelihood, you will improve.  Of course the SSD is permanent but can be helped with a BAHA or other device, depending on your preference.  The tinnitus can certainly be distracting, to put it mildly and I can understand how it could affect your work.  Fortunately, there are a wide variety of treatments available for tinnitus, that range from acupuncture to herbs to 'Tinnitus Retraining Therapy'.  I hope you'll look into some of these.  Meanwhile, try to keep a positive outlook and know that there is 'light at the end of the tunnel'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Roger64

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »
I am still fighting the headache and right now I am doing nerve blocks and well and med's to combat those  and it seem to start to come around. But the hear loss is somethings I cant fight with right now. Times are tough and my wife and I just can not afford another bill of me getting a BAHA and I am not sure if the work is going to buy off on this as be part of ADA. It seems a very unlikely. But, maybe they will be more willing to get me that office I have always wanted. :-)

Short term memory loss and not hear are two things the are cause my stress level to go through the roof. It looks like I may lose my job over it and I and not sure what or how I am going to support a family of 5.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:17 pm »
Roger -

have you considered looking into disability?  Several forum members have had to go that route.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »
Roger,
I am so very sorry to hear about all your problems and especially how they may affect your job status.
Good advice from Jan to check out disability. I imagine that won't be enough, but it will be something.
Prayers going your way for understanding  (?) or at least a little compassion to your employee to HELP you rather than fire you.
That is just not fair. I don't know your line of work, but yes, the quieter, the better to be able to concentrate- your own private area. If you are ever to work in a quiet area, alone, away from all the noise, try an ear plug in your good ear. This helps filter out all the extraneous noise that you still hear.

Put me in a small meeting room with a couple of people talking and that's it, I'm out of there. Can't take the noise. It is too distracting. I do home health nursing and it is one patient at a time, in their home. If their TV is on, I have to ask them to mute it...
 So my heart goes out to you. I pray you don't lose your job, and that they can accommodate you.  The short term memory could very well be because of all those noisy distractions, your brain can't hold on to or remember the important stuff  ??? ??? Just a wild thought.
I know I can't remember stuff with all the distractions.
Hang in there,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

konnie

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:25 am »
Roger,

Sorry to hear about your added stress at the work place. I am a little over a year with my post surgery as well. i have good days and bad. I suffer from CRS (can't remember S@%T) and SSD. I drive my coworkers and family members nuts.
I try to make lite of the situation and make jokes about it. It does lessen the stress. every one is still very suprotive considering i did have a BRAIN TUMOR almost the size of a tennis ball.  I too due to finiancal reason can't afford to have the BAHA implant done at this time.. Soo the rest of the world is just going to have to get use to me the way i am...
Best Wishes to you and your family and remember to laugh it really is the best medicine..
Konnie
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 08:13:18 am »
I just wanted to know how you are doing?

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.