Author Topic: Surgery update...  (Read 1351 times)

Sobes

Surgery update...
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:38:17 am »
Hello Everyone,

I know there have been many things happening on the AN calendar that I've missed and wanted to let you all know that, even though I haven't been able  to comment on many of your posts,  I have been reading many of them and still have you all in my prayers and am thinking of you! I had all of my pre-op tests done Thursday and met with the doctors afterward. They have lowered my chances for hearing preservation as they believe my tumor is on the lower vestibular nerve or the cochlear nerve (hopefully not the facial nerve...gulp). I have such an amazing surgical team though, so believe that whatever can possibly be saved can be done so by these guys :) They did say that if the tumor is on the facial nerve, they will simply "reduce the pressure and close me back up"...????? We have more questions about that when we see them...anyone else been told this? What does this mean and what next if this happens???

I want to make mention of the upcoming surgery for Lyn (Lawmama) and wish her the very best as she heads into surgery on Monday! Good luck Lyn!!! See you on the "postie" side ;)

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: Surgery update...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:23:37 am »
Bren,

You are such a sweetie!  Thanks and I will be cheering you right on too.  I have to recover fast to be able to keep up with everyone else having surgery after me. 

As for your facial nerve question, they didn't tell me that exactly, but they did say that if the tumor was on my facial nerve they might leave part of it behind to avoid injury to the nerve.  I told them that is what I preferred.  I have read (don't know for sure if it is true or not) that often when they take the "bulk" of the tumor it disrupts its blood flow enough that it won't grow anymore in the future.  That's what I'm counting on! 

I'm so sorry they lowered your chances for hearing preservation, but just keep in mind that even lower odds are still just "odds."  No guarantees either way.  They can't know for sure until they get in there and everybody is different.  I have refused to worry about worst case scenarios until I know what it is I have to face.  Maybe that's just denial, I'll let you know if it was a good idea or not in a few days.   :D

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:57:28 pm »
Bren and Lyn
I wish you both the best of luck in your upcomming surgeries. The best part of finally having your surgery over with is that the "what ifs" and the unknowns are now known and you can begin your recoveries and begin living your lives again. Both of you please let us know how you are doing. Stay positive and know that you both have made the choices that are best for you. Take care and good luck!
Erin

gingerbread6

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:28:33 am »
Hi Bren,

My thoughts and prayers will be with you on the 22nd. I am one week after you for my surgery on the 28th in Boston. I have come to peace with my decision and can't wait to be a "postie." This forum has been invaluable to me going thru my ANA journey.

I want to thank everyone here for your support. I couldn't have done it without you! Thank You so much!!

I have been very fortunate to have personally met several of the forum members at a support group meeting a few months back, and then at brunch in Worcester. The information and support that I have received has been remarkable. I've never met such a group of kind, caring human beings. I thank God for you all. I truly believe that people are put in our lives to help us weather the storms, and the ANA forum members have been there every step of the way.

I know that the good Lord will see us through successful surgeries. Keep the faith! We will emerge healthier and stronger people.

Take care, Bren. Busy yourself with Chrismas preparations and the time will fly by. Before you know it, you'll be on the other side.

Always,

Gingerbread 6