Author Topic: Week Four Update  (Read 2422 times)

KJ

• kate's corner
Week Four Update
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:29:57 am »
Hi Everyone,
Well, I was moving right along and enjoying the ride with my treatiment and then I hit a little bump in the road last weekend.  After Friday's treatment I developed a LARGE headache on Saturday, and Sunday and Monday I had some dizziness and balance issues.  My hearing felt "squeezed off" all weekend, too.  I saw the doctor after yesterday's treatment (which left me very dizzy) and he has prescribed a steroid (Methylprednisolone) to help reduce the apparent swelling of the tumor.  This is Wednesday morning and I still feel a touch woozy, so we will see how I progress the rest of this week.  I'm sure everything will be just fine. I continue taking this medication for six days and next Wednesday is my LAST TREATMENT!!!!  What a lovely Christmas present!

I know you all are busy with your holiday plans, but I just wanted to drop by and give you my update. I'll post again next Wednesday and let you all know how everything went.   

Kate 
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Week Four Update
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:18 pm »
Kate,

Thanks for the mostly positive update on your progress!  It certainly sounds like things are on track towards a full recovery from treatment!  I didn't get radiation, but my guess is that some post-treatment swelling is to be expected in some radiation treatments and likewise the accompanying hearing issues.

Congratulations on a successful journey so far!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:24:17 pm »
Hi, Kate ~

I'm sorry you've hit a slight 'bump in the road' (to your ultimate recovery) but I trust the steroids will neutralize the swelling problem and you'll be back up to speed, as it were.  I'm looking forward io your update next week because I'm sure you'll be doing well.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

KJ

• kate's corner
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:53:55 pm »
Hi Brian,
It has been a mostly positive expericence and I am still glad this was my choice.  I'm sure I'll straighten out, too.   Today I can hear better already, but I still have that drunken feeling.  I'm sure, when the meds are done, I'll be zipping along agian.  Thanks for the encouragement.

And to you, Jim, as I said to Brian, I'm sure it is just a little speed bump. I'll give you my update next week.  Thanks to you for being there for me, too.  This forum has been a godsend to all of us rookies.  Never before have I had the responsibility of making my own medical decisions, and this forum was a life saver. All of you are so knowledgeable and so generous with your positive encouragement. Thanks a million.

Kate
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.