Author Topic: FRS  (Read 2659 times)

patdel

FRS
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:26:18 pm »
Hi,  I went to see a Radiation Oncologist today at Duke U. to get an opinion on my AN and whether I was a candidate for radiation. He said I was but I am confused because he is suggesting FSR with 25 low doses. I would be going 5days a week for 5 weeks.  Most of the literature and reading I have done talk about 1 bog dose or 3-4 smaller ones. He has a new state of the art Novalis machine which is supposed to be the best out there right now. Couldn't pin down how many ANs he's done but he's done lots of cancerous brain tumors with the machine. Has anyone had FRS with that many doses?

Thanks

Pat
Pat

sgerrard

Re: FRS
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:50:59 pm »
Several people on the forum have had FSR, with 25 or so small doses, instead of 1 dose Gammaknife, or 3 dose Cyberknife. My fellow moderator Jim is one, and will probably be along shortly to fill you in. It was actually the first stereotactic radiation protocol used on ANs, and it is still used in a number of places. You can argue that GK or CK is better, but all three can achieve essentially the same result.

Welcome to the forum, too.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:25:26 am by sgerrard »
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »
Hi, Pat ~

Steve is correct.  FSR is 'low-dose' radiation very specifically calibrated to irradiate the tumor.  I underwent 26 FSR treatments in the fall of 2006 as a follow-up to a partial tumor resection.  My neurosurgeon's plan was to 'debulk' my large AN (4.5 cm) and in the process, cut off it's blood supply.  That surgery was successful and my pre-op symptoms disappeared.  3 months later, with time for my brain to heal (my doctor's words) I had the FSR treatments.  I was told by my doctor that I would receive the lowest amount of radiation possible that would still be effective.  It was carefully 'mapped', using recent MRI and CT scans, by my neurosurgeon and a radiation oncologist.  The goal was to do minimum damage to surrounding brain tissue while 'zapping' the (remaining) AN and effectively 'killing' it's DNA (it's ability to reproduce more tumor cells).

The 26 FSR sessions were performed at an outpatient cancer center.  They took about 45 minutes each and were completely painless.  I suffered no adverse reactions to the radiation and drove myself to and from each session, a distance of over 60 miles, round trip.  I'm pleased to report that the FSR treatment were successful.  My last MRI showed necrosis and some shrinkage and I'm doing fine. 

I won't attempt to compare or debate the efficacy of FSR, GK and CK  because I'm not an expert in any of these radiation techniques and of course, I'm not a doctor.  I can only offer you my experience, which was successful in my case.  If a radiation oncologist recommends FSR, he must have a good reason.  I suggest you ask him.

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 04:05:18 pm »
Also see Kate(KJ)'s recent posts for a play by play, she is going through FSR right now:

Decision Made: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10790.0
Getting Ready: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10878.0
Week One Update: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11152.0
Week Three Update: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11257.0

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

KJ

• kate's corner
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:06:40 am »
Hi Pat, I just read your original question.  I'm just finishing up my 25 doses on Wednesday of next week, and overall I have to say it went very smoothly. My doctor is very pleased with the results and so am I. We went with multiple low doses in order to try and preserve my diminishing hearing.  The treatments are completely painless, and except for a few minor headaches and some mild dizziness I've had no side effects. 
Hope this helps you feel better about your choice. Happy Holidays!
Kate
58yr, married, no children.  Recently diagnosed with 10mm AN on left side.  70% hearing loss, tinnitus, some balance problems.  Previous mastoid eardrum replacements in both ears resulting in 60% loss on right side.  Currently considering treatment options.