Author Topic: had BAR audiometry today  (Read 1295 times)

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
had BAR audiometry today
« on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:42 pm »

i had my Brainstem Auditory Responses today.
she said they looked fairly normal.

i was disappointed, as i thought i was looking for an ABnormal result, thus  localizing it to the superior vestibular nerve (and thus further from the cochlear n.)
   when i explained my rationale to her, it seemed like she indicated there was just one vestibular nerve, and that the BAR was just kind of a more sensitive audiology test, and didnt necessarily localize he tumor to any specific branch.

i am confused.  ???

anyone else who has had BAR audiometry please chime in
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

sgerrard

Re: had BAR audiometry today
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:02:02 am »
There is one vestibular nerve, with two branches.

I had a pretty complete vestibular lab work up. As they explained it, most of the tests are measuring effects on the superior branch of the nerve. There is one rather crude test, where they play a loud click in your ear and look for a neck muscle reflex, which is meant to measure the inferior branch.

Judging by my report, they more or less conclude that if the superior branch is okay, the AN is most likely on the inferior branch, so I guess you could conclude that, since it has the phrase "most likely" in it, like everything with ANs does, so it isn't a definitive conclusion anyway.  ::)

Ever feel like you are wading across a stream with a lot of slippery rocks underfoot? Welcome to the wonderful world of ANs...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tamster

Re: had BAR audiometry today
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:32:11 am »
When I had my ABR test done, the doctor told me that the response to the brain was slow, which to him indicated that the tumor was likely on the inferior portion of the vestibular nerve, and that if that were the case, it would lower the chances of saving my hearing by maybe 5%. So at that point, instead of 55%, I now had a 50-50 chance. My tumor was very close to the cochlea and I lost all hearing in that ear.

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst