Author Topic: Possible acoustic neuroma  (Read 4693 times)

LucyRenee

Possible acoustic neuroma
« on: January 03, 2010, 03:06:24 pm »
I was searching the web for answers to my symptoms and ran across this forum, which after reading several posts, I quickly realized how supportive the people here are, it is amazing!  I do not know for sure if I have an AN, but the majority of my symptoms point possibly to an AN.  First of all 2 months ago while at work, I experienced numbness in the left corner of my mouth, It felt as if I may be drooling, the numbness began to spread to my upper cheek, I was a little worried, I had never experienced this before, so the first thing I thought was it was maybe blood pressure, which I checked and it was slightly elevated, but nothing serious, so I chalked it up to just stress.  Well, the numbness went on for several days and then went away for several days and again returned and has been with me everyday since.  The numbness is only on the left side of my face and starts around the jaw area and and as time has passed it has completely covered the left side of my face and the back of my head.  There is no drooping or loss of movement, just numbness.  The dizziness is more like a side to side loss of balance while standing or walking.  My ear is numb and it feels like it is full all the time, I did have ringing in my ears several months before the numbness started, but it only happened a time or two and since then no ringing in the ears.  My head feels extremely tight on the left side with some pains that come and go, kind of like a throb here and there, but nothing intense.  My left eye feels a little strange, with a little dimness in that eye and numbness. I went to the doctor, and they ordered an MRI of the brain, because of the numbness in my face, I had the MRI last week, with and without contrast, but no word on that yet, I hope to here something soon.  I very seldom go to the doctor unless, there is really something bothering me, and having this numbness has worried me.  I am a 38 year old female, and have been healthy up until these symptoms started.  How long does it normally take to get the MRI results back?  Also, a few months ago and up until now, I have noticed that I cannot stay very focused on anything and have bouts of confusion, that I have never had before.  Any thoughts or insight on this matter would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Possible acoustic neuroma
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:09:29 pm »
LucyRenee -

the MRI will definitely tell you if you have an acoustic neuroma or not.  MRIs - usually with gadolinium contrast - are the only sure way to diagnose ANs.  So, basically you did just what you should have.

It's hard to say how long it will be before you hear the results of your MRI, but in my experience, if you do have an AN you will hear from your doctor sooner rather than later.

If you do have an AN, I strongly encourage you to stick around the Forum and to contact the ANA for their informational literature.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »
LucyRenee .....

So glad you posted on this forum.  I, as well, certainly hope you do not have an AN, but the results of the MRI with contrast will have the answer for you.  Even if it is not an AN, you should have some answers for the symptoms you are having.

If it is an AN, I wholeheartedly agree with Jan to contact the ANA office and request the informational materials ...... they are very informative and reassuring.

It is my own impatience showing through, but if you do not hear from your doctor's office by tomorrow, I would urge you to call them.  It is your right to know what was on the test without having to wait an unfair amount of time.  Of course, the holidays have had an impact on you being notified, I am sure.  One thing about it, if it is an AN they are normally very slow growing so a few days wait has not made a difference probably.

Best thoughts and let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:36 pm »
Hi Lucy
You should be able to get MRI results in 24 to 48 hours depending on holidays or weekends-at least that is my expirence here with my healthcare system. I have learned that I can get a copy of my report on my own by getting a copy of the films and report from my hospital film library. With that said, you may want to wait for your Dr to give you your results. There is always lots of scary sounding words that are completley normal and you do not want to worry unecessairly. Nothing much phases me now but you are new to this business and should probably get your results from a professional. I agree with Clarice-call your Dr tomorrow. It is agonizing wondering if you have an AN or not. I hope you do not have an AN but if you do you have found the right place. Gook luck and let us know you results!
Erin

rupert

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:30:48 pm »

Hello LucyRenee,

I would agree with the others about contacting the doctor.   My Doc called me the very next day and wanted to talk .  Sounds like you are having some problems even if its not AN.   Good luck in your diagnosis.    Bryan

mk

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:05 pm »
Hello there and I hope you can get some answers soon.

Your description reminded me exactly what I experienced back in August 2007, at the same age as you. After having a strange "burnt-like"feeling on one side of my tongue for two months, I felt numbness at the corner of my mouth one day at work - I thought it was some skin irritation due to waxing. It obviously wasn't, and the numbness spread quickly in the entire half of my face. These symptoms are due to some sort of trigeminal nerve malfunction (a sensory nerve, controlling feeling). There are a few potential causes for this, among which a possibility (and mind you by far NOT the worse) is an AN. These symptoms triggered my family doctor to immediately order an MRI. I had the MRI within a month and my doctor called me back within a few days. So it shouldn't take long for you to get an answer once you got the MRI.
At this stage, I would say wait for the doctor - I can't even imagine how much I would have freaked out if I got the radiologist report mentioning a "mass" and other scary things that I knew nothing about back then, without my doctor reassuring me that it is benign.

Since you obviously seem to have trigeminal issues, no matter what the reason is, please take care of your eye. Reduced feeling in the eye cornea, means that it doesn't send the proper signals for tear production, with the potential for the eye to become very dry. Get yourself some eye drops, like Refresh Celluvisc, Genteal, Systane or whatever else works, and make sure to apply them a few times per day.

I do hope that it turns out to be nothing serious, but if it is an AN, please keep in mind that it is treatable, there is a lot of expertise around, and you can get wonderful advice from this forum. Oh, and make sure you keep copies of all your reports, MRI disks etc. in case you need multiple consultations.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sarahinPA

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »
I also experienced very similiar symptoms. In fact, I too, thought your story was close to mine. I have not gotten on this forum for a long time; but everyone here is so help ful with all questions you may have.
I expereinced numbness first in my tounge and eventually on my entire right side of my face. My PCP had MRI results to me in 2 days; but they only told me " you have a mass in your brain, and a neurologist will be in touch" This was also around the holiday's (dec. 23). I immediatly contacted a friend at the MRI place who gave me the specific information; name, size..I contacted a neurologist that I knew and he saw me the next day to give me assurance that I was going to be ok, and what my next step would be.  In the end, My PCP's neurologist did not contact me until Jan 2! I already had my surgery scheduled by then!

In my opinion and experience, I Would take the holiday into consideration with delayed results, but use any resource you may have to help you get information ( AN website is a great support) but for your case specifically, definatly contact your doctor or MRI place to get results tomorrow morning. You have a right to know and to start making your decisions. This is a life changing experience and your health is the most important; dont let an office control your life.

i wish you health and happiness; and I hope that whatever your results are, you come here for support and let us know how you are doing.

Best wishes!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

skamper

• Disneyworld with my girls!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 11:07:49 pm »
Your symptoms are almost exactly like mine were.  I went to my doctor on Monday, Dec 10 and had an MRI that night.  He called me the next morning with my results and it was a AN.  I went to see a Neurosurgeon on that Friday.  It does sound scary at first, but everyone on here is very caring and helpful.  I'm still waiting to see what my best options are.
I would call you doctor tomorrow and if they don't have the results, call the MRI place and requests them!!  You do have the right to know.  Keep us updated!
Good luck and I hope all turns out well for you!
Susan
Diagnosed 12-09
AN right side 2.3 x 2.6 x 1.9
97% balance loss, minimal hearing loss
Surgery 4-2-10 at Methodist Hospital, Dr. Long and Moore
1.5 cm tumor left on 7 nerve.  Gamma knife 1-2013

LucyRenee

MRI was normal
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:16:25 pm »
Hello all.  I got the results of my MRI this morning over the phone and they said it was normal.  I go for a follow up this week, and from what I was told, I will be referred to a neurologist.  I was happy and thankful that the MRI turned out normal, but I am still searching for the cause of these symptoms.  I hope the neurologist will be able to find out what the problem is.  I will keep you all informed of any diagnosis.  This is such a great forum, with great people and very supportive,  thank you all for your support and I hope to have an update on what is causing my symptoms very soon. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »
LucyRenee -

I'm relieved to hear that you don't have an acoustic neuroma.

Best of luck with the neurologist; I hope he/she can shred some light on your symptoms.

I look forward to your update,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 07:35:13 am »
LucyRenee .....

I, as well, am very glad you do not have an AN.  Let us know what the neurologist says, since your symptoms were so much like those having an AN.  It would be helpful for others checking out this forum.

Prayers for an accurate diagnosis and successful treatment plan.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 08:43:32 am »
So happy for you that the MRI was normal usually if there is a problem they will let you know within 24 to 48 hours. The only thing that I am concerned about is that a couple of years ago I had fullness in my ear no other symptoms and my MRI was found to be normal. So I went to an ENT and was diagnosed with crystals in my ear and was sent for Vestibular Therapy needless to say it did not help so I accepted the way I felt.  Then in 2009 I started to faint and went to have another MRI somewhere else and was diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN, so I am still a little concerned these are slow growing but I feel that in 2007 I was misdiagnosed.  I hope that is not the same for you but I would suggest you to get a copy of the actual film and written report and have someone else review it.  The other suggestion I have is that my coworker has Meniere's Disease with similar symptoms I would see an ENT do not accept the way you feel find the cause.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:04:04 pm »
Hi LucyRene-

So glad to hear that you don't have an AN - now, I hope that the neurologist can find out what is causing your symptoms.  Let us know how you are doing, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:27 pm »
Hi, LucyRenee ~

I'm belatedly posting on your thread to offer my congratulations on your MRI not indicating an acoustic neuroma.  I join many others that hope your doctor(s) can soon discover the real cause of your symptoms so that you can find relief.  Please try to stay strong.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.