Author Topic: Good news!!  (Read 2099 times)

Guitarmn50

Good news!!
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:11:03 pm »
 ;D Well, sort of...it's back to the watch and wait for me for 6 months! It seems like this is probably the best way to go being as I'm really not experiencing severe AN symptoms at this juncture.

One thing I didn't realize to date: I now understand why the greater number of people here have opted for surgery over radiation... because the probability of having dizziness/imbalance issues increases with radiation over surgery--statistically 2% for surgery and 14% for radiation.

OK  I get it. well hopefully "Charley" upstairs goes into retirement and then we'll both be happy campers! Though, if it does increase. Then I'll have to figure out the next step--don't want to go there!!!!

Next MRI...JULY.

Guitarmn50
Misdiagnosed in 2001/02/03 AN diagnosed 10/08/08
Diagnosed with advancing 2.3cm AN on 12-05-09: W&W 6 Months! MRI 07-2010 showed no growth

MRI 1-13 tumor increased 2mm
25.4mm X 22.2mm AN diagnosed on 1-8-13
Audiogram showed hearing loss left ear diminished to 20%

CK on 3/11; 3/12; 3/13    2013

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Good news!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:16:47 pm »
I now understand why the greater number of people here have opted for surgery over radiation... because the probability of having dizziness/imbalance issues increases with radiation over surgery--statistically 2% for surgery and 14% for radiation.

Guitarmn -

glad to hear you got another 6 month reprieve  :)

As for opting for surgery over radiation - dizziness/imbalance issues weren't even on my list of deciding factors.  My biggest factor - among a lot of smaller ones - was just wanting to have the AN out of my head.  I'm not the type who could have waited around to see when - or if - necrosis occurred.  I wanted immediate results (which has a lot to do with my personality).

But that's just me and my choice; which I totally realize isn't everyone else's.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Guitarmn50

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 08:29:32 pm »
I now understand why the greater number of people here have opted for surgery over radiation... because the probability of having dizziness/imbalance issues increases with radiation over surgery--statistically 2% for surgery and 14% for radiation.

Guitarmn -

glad to hear you got another 6 month reprieve  :)

As for opting for surgery over radiation - dizziness/imbalance issues weren't even on my list of deciding factors.  My biggest factor - among a lot of smaller ones - was just wanting to have the AN out of my head.  I'm not the type who could have waited around to see when - or if - necrosis occurred.  I wanted immediate results (which has a lot to do with my personality).

But that's just me and my choice; which I totally realize isn't everyone else's.

Jan

Hi Jan :)

Thank you for mentioning that: and that *is* exactly what Dr Tse asked me today "How would you feel about this thing say 10 years down the line still being in your head". Well, for me if "Charley" doesn't cause me any trouble and is "retired" well then I surely don't care one iota.

That is probably the essential reason for this watch and wait today.

Thank you
Diagnosed with advancing 2.3cm AN on 12-05-09: W&W 6 Months! MRI 07-2010 showed no growth

rupert

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »

I was thinking along the same line as leapyrtwins.   I just wanted it out.  That is why I thought surgery was my best option,  but now I may be changing my mind.  I have seen the images of the radiated ANs and what hapens over time.   I am a lot more comfortable now with the radiosurgery.   Also,   it seems to me that surgeons are content with leaving some of the tumor and then following up with GK or CK.   Allowing for less nerve damage.   Just some observations.   Bryan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 09:06:13 pm »
Also,   it seems to me that surgeons are content with leaving some of the tumor and then following up with GK or CK.   Allowing for less nerve damage.   Just some observations. 

Very good observations, Bryan.

Surgery followed by radiation - called debulking - is typically done for large ANs.

Guitar -

sounds like you have a smart doctor who asks good questions  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Guitarmn50

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:18:48 pm »

I was thinking along the same line as leapyrtwins.   I just wanted it out.  That is why I thought surgery was my best option,  but now I may be changing my mind.  I have seen the images of the radiated ANs and what hapens over time.   I am a lot more comfortable now with the radiosurgery.   Also,   it seems to me that surgeons are content with leaving some of the tumor and then following up with GK or CK.   Allowing for less nerve damage.   Just some observations.   Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I fall into the same camp here, the gist I received is that neither Surgery nor radiation is mutually exclusive. Therefore, one could have surgery to partially eradicate "the bulk" "debulk", then CK for example could hit the remainder ergo, less nerve damage. Though, That remainder if tied into the complex nerve sector of the face, though, might eminently render a permanent facial paralysis...I THINK...In fact, perhaps worse maybe even a stroke...which I understand is less than 1%

The bottom line: is it lessens the initial risk, most of the time, but increases them in a few other ways--like vertigo.
I just hope 6 months jumps to years!  :-\

Guitarmn50

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:32:15 pm »
Also,   it seems to me that surgeons are content with leaving some of the tumor and then following up with GK or CK.   Allowing for less nerve damage.   Just some observations. 

Very good observations, Bryan.

Surgery followed by radiation - called debulking - is typically done for large ANs.

Guitar -

sounds like you have a smart doctor who asks good questions  :)

Jan

I feel very comfortable with Dr. Tse.  He explained to me the intricacies of GK, CK and Novalis which I threw in. CK does seem to be the way to go: to hit the AN from many directions, and not just one as in the case of GK or FSR.

Makes perfect sense...

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »
I to chose surgery mainly because several of my doctors said that was what they would do and I also thought I rather have it out of my head, I would most definitely not be a good candidate for a W&W approach. 

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.