Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled  (Read 1904 times)

Joanne7151

Surgery Scheduled
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:16 pm »
I'm a newbie!  My AN was diagnosed in July 2009. My symptoms began in the spring, balance issues, headaches, hearing loss. MRI showed AN measured 0.4 x 0.5 x 1.1cm within the right auditory canal. August 6th I had the Gamma Knife procedure. First 2 weeks after surgery, I lost balance, and felt like there was a mini construction company in my right ear. Felt pretty much okay thru most of September. In October symptoms began again and got worse. Oct. 14 MRI showed some growth, but they weren't sure if it was swelling or growth. December 1 MRI showed significant growth. I am now scheduled for surgery January 20 at NYU medical center. The surgery will be Posterior Fossa Craniotomy (Translab), resection of intradural tumor with abdominal fat graft & facial nerve monitoring/microdisecction.

Needless to say I am TERRIFIED. Just the thought of my head being opened is freaking me out. Can anyone tell me what I may experience right after surgery. I know everyone reacts differently. Is it nausea, vomiting, pain, total loss of equilibrium, etc. I appreciate any input you can give me.
Joanne

sgerrard

Re: Surgery Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:02:53 am »
Can anyone tell me what I may experience right after surgery.

The saying on the forum is that the first three days don't count.  ;) The more direct answer to your list of possibilities is: yes.  :P

I have to add, that was a pretty quick decision that the radiation didn't stop the growth. Sometimes they go a little while and swell up before they slow down and stop.

Mainly, though, I wanted to say Hi, Newbie! And welcome to the forum.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

neuroma_racer

• late apexing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:31:32 am »
hello,
  sorry to hear of your troubles.
would you care to elaborate on which Sx recurred in october, and to what degree?
also, might you post up the 10/14, and 12/01 measurements?
thanks, and best wishes,
jesse
mild hearing loss - 12/'09
left 4x5x7mm, intracannicular schwanomma
MIDDLE FOSSA surgery 4/'10, Dr John McElveen, et.al.
was actually a FACIAL NERVE NEUROMA
hearing worsened 4/'12 - Tumor quadrupled to 9x9x15mm
cyberknife 8/'12
1.5yr MRI shows shrinkage % 85% necrosis
LEFT hearing & tinnitus SUCK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 07:08:41 am »
Joanne -

AN surgery can be scary, but it's survivable and the outcome is generally very good.  I know, I've been there  :)

I didn't have radiation prior to my surgery, and I'm not a doctor, but I'm with Steve.  This seems like a pretty quick jump from radiation to surgery.  Any idea why your doctor is being so aggressive?  Radiation typically takes some time to work - I've heard 12 to 18 months - so I'm curious as to the need to proceed with surgery so quickly.  Although you say your AN is growing significantly, you also say it could be swelling.  Your AN started out small, even with significant growth it may not be at the point where it is considered large.

You may have already addressed this with your doctor, but if you haven't you should - especially if the thought of surgery terrifies you.  I went into my surgery very calmly - some do, some don't - but if I would have found myself going into it terrified, I would have sat back and examined my decision - if I had one. 

I apologize if I seem to be questioning your doc's recommendation, you may not have a choice in this matter.  I just like to see forumites comfortable with their treatment decisions; it makes the road to recovery that much easier.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 08:15:27 am »
I am not familiar with radiation but I have read other posts and what Jan said I also thought it takes time with radiation and wondering why surgery is needed.  Seeing that you are terrified and justifiably so I would ask alot more questions and try to research more I am sure waiting a few weeks will not make that big of a difference until you feel more comfortable ??

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:22 pm »
Hi, Joanne ~

Welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry it's under these adverse circumstances. 

Frankly, although I'm not a doctor, I don't believe you should be 'rushed' into AN surgery if you're terrified of doing so.  This indicates a lack of conviction on your part that the surgery is necessary.  I agree with the previous posters who question the judgment of doctors who claim a significant post-radiation re-growth in a few months time and declare that almost immediate surgery is the only option, scaring you in the process.  However, if you're determined to undergo the AN removal surgery next week I can tell you that it isn't quite as scary as you seem to imagine. 

Remember, you'll be unconscious (under anesthesia) during the surgery and won't know a thing that's happening.  Post-op is a bit different for every surgery patient.  Yes, some AN post-op patients experience nausea, imbalance, double vision and/or headaches and most have a very strong desire to take a nice, hot shower - but that usually has to wait awhile.  'Sponge baths' suffice for the first few days.  Frankly, there simply is no template for your immediate recovery experience.  Some of our members are out of the hospital in a few days but the majority have a 5-day hospital stay, as I did.  The majority of AN post-op patients have a good recovery but there are always a few issues to deal with, for most, anyway.  It may not be what you want to read but frankly, Joanne, no one can accurately predict exactly what your post-op experience will be.  I wish I could.  Mine was quite easy and I recovered quickly, once discharged from the hospital.  I was driving again within 2 weeks of my surgery date.  I can only hope and pray that should you choose to go through with your January 21st surgery date, you have a very similar experience.

Please stay connected here and let us know what you decide to do and how things are going for you.  We care and want to support you as you deal with this unwanted challenge.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.